Chapter 32: Alone at Home.

As the day approached for the duke's departure to meet with the king, Charlotte's anxiety began to grow. The idea of being alone in the palace without her husband made her feel uneasy. The duke could see the concern etched on her face, and he placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

"Don't worry, my love," he said, "I have instructed the servants to take good care of you. You will not be alone."

Charlotte nodded, but the worry in her eyes did not fade. As the day wore on and the duke's departure time grew closer, she felt a growing sense of unease.

"Are you sure you have to go?" she asked, her voice tinged with concern.

"I'm afraid so," he replied, "but I promise I will return as soon as possible. In the meantime, the servants will be here to take care of you."

With that, he embraced her tightly before departing. Charlotte watched him leave, feeling a sense of emptiness in her heart as she saw him disappear from sight.

As the day wore on, Charlotte did her best to keep her mind occupied. She read books, watched movies, and even tried to knit a baby blanket. However, no matter what she did, she couldn't shake the feeling of loneliness that hung over her.

That night, as she lay in bed, Charlotte felt the baby inside her kick, and she placed a hand over her belly, feeling a sense of comfort in the movement. As she closed her eyes, she whispered a prayer for her husband's safe return.

The next morning, Charlotte woke up to find the servants bustling around the palace. They were cleaning, cooking, and doing everything they could to make her feel comfortable.

"Good morning, Your Grace," one of them said, bowing respectfully.

"Good morning," Charlotte replied with a smile, feeling grateful for their presence.

As the days passed, Charlotte began to feel more comfortable being alone in the palace. She even began to look forward to the quiet moments where she could focus on the baby growing inside her.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, the duke returned. Charlotte's heart leaped with joy as she saw him walking towards her, and she ran to him, embracing him tightly.

"I missed you so much," she whispered into his ear.

"I missed you too, my love," he replied, holding her tightly.

With that, the couple was reunited, and the palace was filled with joy once more.