Chapter 4: A Walk in the Garden

The morning sun cast a warm glow over the garden as Lady Charlotte and Duke Alexander walked together, surrounded by the delicate beauty of blooming flowers. Lady Charlotte wore a light green dress that flowed gracefully with the breeze, adorned with precious jewelry that sparkled in the sunlight. The two strolled in silence, the only sound the soft rustling of leaves beneath their feet.

The lady was still shy, unsure of how to engage with the charismatic Duke. She kept her gaze low, admiring the flowers that she had planted herself, and hoped that the Duke would take the lead in conversation.

Finally, Duke Alexander spoke up. "Lady Charlotte, may I ask what your hobbies are?" he inquired, hoping to break the awkward silence between them.

Lady Charlotte looked up, surprised by the question. "Oh, I enjoy reading and painting," she answered with a small smile.

"Painting? How lovely!" exclaimed the Duke. "Do you have any paintings you could show me?"

Lady Charlotte blushed, feeling a bit self-conscious. "I'm afraid they are not very good," she admitted.

The Duke chuckled, his smile warm and reassuring. "I'm sure they're wonderful. I'd love to see them sometime."

As they continued to walk, the Duke spoke at length about his own interests and experiences, regaling Lady Charlotte with tales of his travels and adventures. She found herself listening with rapt attention, intrigued by the passion and excitement in his voice.

After a while, Lady Charlotte grew weary, and she suggested they retire to the courtyard her father had built for her, a quiet oasis of serenity and beauty. They settled down on a comfortable bench, Lady Charlotte pouring tea for the Duke as they chatted amiably.

Unbeknownst to them, they were being watched. A shadowy figure lurked in the trees, observing their every move with sinister intent. The Duke and Lady Charlotte were blissfully unaware of the danger that lurked nearby, lost in the enchantment of the moment.

As they sipped their tea and chatted, the Duke felt a deepening connection with the Lady Charlotte, and he knew that he wanted nothing more than to win her heart. But little did they know that their peaceful afternoon would soon be shattered by a terrifying turn of events.