Chapter 2 - Part 2

1200 words

The sun sets. Dylan walks off and leaves me and Ryan to catch up to him. We walk up to him, he's telling Kaitlyn all about the cameras. I can hear Ryan sigh.

"No, that's not-"

"Uh- woah now. Back up. What?"

"His eyes are everywhere. He's always watching us." Dylan sounds creepy.

Ryan walks over to a bench and sits down, I follow suit and sit next to him, "Knock it off, man. He's just got...trail camers set up. Y'know, forest surveillance. That kind of thing" He explains.

"Oh"

"You don't think that's weird!?" Dylan questions

"Well he's got a perimeter to check, kids to protect. Yeah, probably just to keep track of wildlife"

"You guys have no imagination" Dylan sighs.

"So, uh what's going on here? Everything ready?" Ryan asks.

"Uhh, Still no service. Sooo. Pretty boring."

"I wonder... Maybe a satellite fell out of the sky or something" Only Dylan could think of that.

"Yeah and landed in the forest, waking frome her slumber, the Hag of Hackett-" I humour Dylan before Kaitlyn interrupts me.

"Okay!" she's proabbly still recovering from the mass mention of it earlier. "You know, I just realised, we may never see each other again after tonight"

"You can't have just realised that" Dylan deadpans.

"Just trying to set the mood!"

"What mood?" I ask.

"The mood. The vibe. Y'know"

"Speaking of setting the mood... I have work to do" Dylan sits down, "okay? Because playlists don't make themselves... I mean I guess they do, but..."

"Alright Ry-guy, time to get wood" Kaitlyn exclaims.

"Wording" I murmur.

"Oh, I know what I said" Kaitlyn must've heard me. "Abi, Nick! Just in time"

"We got wood" Abi sings. I roll my eyes.

"Nice, but we've already done that joke..." Kaitlyn tells them.

"It's mostly just kindling..."

"Oh that's all we need. There's a big pile of logs here." Kaitlyn points to the wood.

"We could have gotten more but there was a hog- or a boar... But Nick was very very brave and took one for the team."

I stand up and walk over to them, "Are you both okay?"

Ncik smiles at me, "We're okay. It wasn't a bullfight or anything"

"Though I did think Nick made a new girlfriend" Abi responds.

"Oh, do tell"

Nick goes to speak before a boom-pop-like sound goes off.

Emma and Jacob walk out of the forest, "special delivery!"

Kaitlyn walks up to them, "Woah whoa whoa! Where the hell did that gun come from?"

"Uh, dude relax its not even real" Jacob says.

"You sure?" I ask.

"Well-I mean it's a real gun but ti's just for shooting bears"

"We found it in the storage room" Emma adds.