Chapter 4 - Part 2

920 words

"Wait- no no no no no- don't shoot! Don't shoot!"

Jacob bursts out of the bushes, only wearing his... Underwear. But that's not just it, his face is covered in, what I'm guessing is, blood too.

"I'm here to save you" he raises his arms in the air. He looks around at us. Taking everyone in. "Holy shit, Nick.... Is he okay?"

Ryan releases his breath and stands closer to me, placing his arm around my waist.

"Nick and Abi were attacked. In the woods" Kaitlyn sums up.

"Hey, does anybody have any dry clothes? I'm fucking freezing" Jacob asks, what Kaitlyn said goes straight through one ear and out the other.

"Our bags are still in the minivan" I tell him.

"Ah fuck. Of course they are."

"Jacob, do you know where Emma is?" I question, worried about one of my closest friends. He starts spinning around. I don't like this response.

"Oh fuck. Oh jesus christ. Um... I left Emma on the island and I told her I'd be right back"

"Ouch" Kaitlyn responds. "Wait the island?"

"Yeah? Why?"

"No I just... I just thought I saw someone over there before..."

"Someone?" Jacob's voice lowers slightly.

"No- i- y'know I- I don't know. Its probably nothing"

"I left her out there alone!" Jacob points to the direction of the island, worry flooding his voice.

"I think we're gonna head to the lodge" Kaitlyn tells him.

"Also, why are you covered in... What I hope is strawberry jelly" Ryan asks Jacob, taking his hand of my waist to point at his face.

Jacob looks down, checking himself out, "Oh, yeah, no, um... I'm pretty sure it's blood" he deadpans. "There was this guy with like um... He had like a bottle. It's like- I dunno dude it's like a really long story"

"Ew" Kaitlyn mutters

"Yeah it's super fucked up"

"Are you-" I go to ask him if he's okay but I get cut off...

"oh and Jesus Christ i can't believe I  haven't told you this yet... I- i saw a fucking body in the lake" Jacob spits out.

"A dead one?" Me and Ryan both speak at the same time.

"Oh, no, no, no, no, no um, one of the- one of the swimmers on the varsity swim team" Jacob starts looking around, a smirk on his face, "They got lost on the way to practice and it was- Yes a dead one, dumbasses!"

"Of course you did Jacob" Kaitlyn tells him, sounding as though she doesn't believe him.

"No! For real. I did. I figured it must have been one of the counselors that didn't show up but I couldn't tell because it was all... Bloaty and gross" he moves his hands around the air, shaping them into, what I'm assuming, is supposed to be a bloated person.

We all stare at him.

"Somethings not right" I tell everyone. Stating the obvious.

My words linger in the air for a few seconds before Jacob looks up to us.

"I gotta go get Emma"

He goes to grab Ryan's gun. Or the gun in Ryan's hand... Not technically his.

"Uhh, excuse me?"

"Hey- i need this, okay? It's not safe out there"

"But we need to protect Nick and Abi" I defend Ryan, stepping closer to Jacob. I think it's probably safer with us...

"Yeah and I need to save Emma, alright? She's out there alone!" Jacob looks to me, raising his voice.

"You can't be sure she's actually in trouble, Jacob" I raise my voice too.

"You don't even know if you're in trouble!" he snaps back.

Ryan steps in front of me, "Are you trying to piss us off?"

Jacobs steps back, "No, I'm trying to save my girlfriends life, asshole!"

"Yeah, I don't think she's your girlfriend, dude" Ryan tells him.

Jacob pulls the gun again, remembering what was happening.

Ryan finally pulls the gun hard enough, ripping it out of Jacobs grasp.

Kaitlyn pulls the gun out of Ryan's hands now.

She looks between the both of them, "Fucking stop!" she sounds fed up, "we're in a real mess here guys. You're acting like pricks. All three of you." She stops and looks to me, "sorry y/n, less you, more them"

I smile at her.

"Jacob, we're keeping this. Nick and Abi are injured" Kaitlyn always takes the mother of the group role. "We need protection. Theres someone else out there"

"Haha." Ryan taunts Jacob. I playfully elbow his side, he looks at me and smiles, wrapping his arm around my shoulder.

"Ryan!" Kaitlyn tells him off. Ryan laughs and kisses the top of my head. Its nice seeing him more 'out of his shell'. I would never have expected him to be affectionate, even less in front of people.

"Sorry" He says, telling it to Kaitlyn more than Jacob.

Jacob walks backwards a bit, "This is bullshit!"

"Make sure she's safe. If she's on the island, she's definitely fine" Kaitlyn sighs, talking to Jacob like he's a toddler.

Jacob starts pacing, "And what? Risk another run-in with Captain Deliverance?" he stops walking and looks to us, "I think-, okay, there's probably another boat by the zipline! Either way, I can make it to the island from there"

Jacob stomps away.

Kaitlyn shakes her head, "We need to get back to the lodge. Try to get help"
She tells us.

"How? Nick cant walk properly" I ask her.

"Wait, I have an idea..." Ryan detaches himself off me and walks off.