Chapter 5 - Part 1

1120 words

Abi walks in and Nick clears his throat, she's carrying a cup of water. "Hey... I couldn't find anything to eat. Kitchen's pretty cleaned out" she tells him. She stops for a second, "Oh shoot. I left my bag." Abi faces Nick again, "I- I got you this".

She goes to hand him the cup, however, he doesn't bother reaching for it. She takes that as a sign, and places it on the table beside him.

I move onto a chair in the corner of the room, quietly observing them.

Somethings changed in Nick.

He's different. Kind of. He's more... standoff-ish and awkward, somehow.

Usually, he'd love to talk about Abi: but just then, he became distant when I mentioned her.

It's weird, but maybe he's still in shock?

"... it was all just a blur" I catch the end of his sentence, snapping back to reality.

"How are you feeling?" Abi asks sincerely.

Nick shakes his head, "How are you holding up?"

Abi looks to me and blushes, the looks to Nick. "I'm... Um, well- I- I....I'm just happy you're okay. Are you okay? I'm sorry, I- I just asked you that. I-"

Nick places his hand on Abi's hand, "S'okay" he reassures her.

They stare at each other.

I get extra quieter, just incase I ruin their moment.

Kaitlyn does not do the same: she walks through the door and clears her throat. "Alright, they're off to find a radio"

I spot her holding their gun, "They gave you the gun?"

"Yeah. Ryan has another one, too. Don't worry," she tells me, I nod, thankfull that they found another shotgun.

"Did you find out what happened to the lights?" I ask another question, pointing up to the broken light.

"Not sure, but I don't think it was the boys" Kaitlyn jolts her head in Nicks direction, "Any better?"

"I'm doing okay...kinda"

Abi starts blinking rapidly, "Wait, are they going to the radio hut?"

"Phones dead, they're gonna try to send out an SOS or something". She looks to me and smirks, "We're holding down the fort"

We hear footsteps above us.

Our heads snap to look up. Metaphorically snap.

We stay silent for a few seconds.

"I thought you said Dylan and Ryan already left" Abi whispers to Kaitlyn.

"Stay here, I'll check it out" I tell them.

Kaitlyn grabs my arm, "Take this, just incase" she hands me the gun. I nod at her.

Nick must see Abi's worrying, "We'll be fine. Just... Be careful" he says the latter to me.

"Stay alert." Kaitlyn adds.

I walk out the door, slowly closing it behind me.

Let's hope those boxing classes my mom made me take can finally come in hand.

I tiptoe across the hallway, checking the gun is loaded. I wrap it around my shoulder like a bag.

I quietly walk through the cafeteria, being cautious as to not knock anything over.

I go up the steps, thankfully none of them creak. I stop halfway up them, seeing a man walking around. I push myself against the side of the wall, attempting to stay hidden.