CHAPTER THIRTY

"The only fear that I had when it came to Asiya, was the fear of rejection!"- Khaleel Othman.

A second.

A second turned into two.

Two seconds turned into three.

Three seconds turned into four.

It wasn't too long before the seconds turned into minutes and the minutes into an hour.

Still, in all of those 3600 seconds, not even a single syllable of a word was able to come out of Khaleel.

If one could burn holes through someone just by simply staring; then Hussein would have for sure burnt a gazillion through him in the past one hour.

Browsing through literally every inch of his brain in a bid to figure out the matter at hand by himself, Hussein couldn't help but let out a huge long loud sigh for it was all in nothing but vain.

Then again, why was he even trying?

I mean, this was Khaleel.

Khaleel Othman!

When it came to Khaleel, a 'mere talk' could literally be about anything and everything.

Khaleel could go from discussing the world's most urgent and most pressing affairs, to discussing as to how pineapple didn't go on pizza, all in a minute.

One could just never know when it came to him...

Khaleel Othman.

That being enough explanation as to why Hussein had been unable to figure the reason behind Khaleel dramatically barging into his office, claiming that he very much needed to talk.

That too...

Very much urgently!

Urgency however being the very last thing that had been manifested in the past one hour.

Not at all wanting curiosity to be the cause of his timely death, Hussein then called out to Khaleel...

"Khaleel!"

"Yes, Khalo?"

Before he even open his mouth by an inch to further say anything, Khaleel quickly interjected...

"Don't say anything."

"Okay."

"There you are still saying something."

"You told me not to say 'anything'. I didn't say 'anything'. I said 'okay'!"

With an expression mirroring the one of a person having been hit really hard by a truck, Khaleel stared speechlessly at Hussein for a whole minute or two after which he said...

"That was lame."

"I know."

"Very lame."

"I know."

"Don't make another joke like that ever again."

"I can't really promise you that."

"Why not?"

"I am a dad!"

"What has that got do with absolutely anything?!"

"It absolutely does because that was a dad joke!"

A very much small yet very disbelieving laugh immediately escaped Khaleel's lips and while vigorously shaking his head, he said...

"That was not a dad joke!"