Chapter 15

The next few days, Charles would text Nina from time to time. It seemed she wasn't wrong when she said that they were going to a lot of parties. The boys would be partying all night and surfing all afternoon. Obviously, mornings were the only time left to sleep.

On Wednesday, Nina went to Lara's house and had a whole afternoon of chit-chat and beauty care. Lara needed a break from studying, so there was nothing better than spending girly time with her best friend.

That same night, Nina couldn't sleep at all. She tried and tried for hours, but it was helpless; she sighed and grabbed her phone. It was almost 2 am. Would be Charles up? Most likely, but he was probably at some party with his friends. She put the phone on her night table and closed her eyes again. After a few minutes, she gave up. It was impossible; she only would wonder what he was doing at that time. She laid down on her stomach, grabbed her phone, and opened Charles chat.

"Hi, are you awake?", she wrote. Nina read it and waited a few minutes before sending it.

"Hi. Yeah, I'm drinking beer with the guys", he replied a few minutes later.

"Oh, talk to you tomorrow then". She was right. He was busy with his friends.

"Don't worry, I was wondering if you were already asleep. What were you doing?"

"Nothing, I can't sleep", she wrote.

"Do you want me to sing you a lullaby? Spoiler: I'm the worst singer ever". Nina laughed.

"Then, no, thank you. Did you go surfing today as well?"

"Yeah, I finally got the trick". He sent her a video of him surfing earlier that day.

"I bet you sent me the only one in which you made it".

"Of course". A smile crept into Nina's face. "I have been craving lemon cookies".

"I'll make you some when you are back".

"I'll look forward to it. Jacky is drunk as hell".

"Really? I have never seen him drunk".

"It's not funny. He gets too annoying".

"I'm curious now".

"It's not worth it. I'll be back tomorrow night. Can we meet on Friday?"

"Ok, I'll make your cookies. The weather is kinda gloomy here. It seems tomorrow will be a bit sunny, and then will rain for the next three days. Do you want to come to watch a movie at my house?"

"Sure. Here is insanely hot".

"L.A in all its magnificence".

"I don't like it. Matt is making trouble; I have to go".

"See you on Friday. Good night".

"Sleep well, see you soon".

Nina looked at the last message for a moment before putting her phone aside. She adjusted herself on the bed and fell asleep thinking about Charles and their coming date with a smile on her face.

The next day, Nina met with Lara and Ian at the Boston Public Garden since it was a bit less cloudy that day. They were on a picnic.

"Jacky called me last night", said Lara. "He was so drunk", said laughing.

"What did he call you for?", asked Nina.

"I don't know. I just heard him shouting nonsense to Matt". Nina remembered that Charles said something about Matt making trouble.

"Nina, can you hand me the coke, please?", asked Ian.

"Sure". She took it and handed it to him.

"Liam asked about you again", said he casually.

Liam was a friend of Ian; they met at Ian's last birthday party. They got along right away, and after texting each other for a few weeks, they went out on a date. That was the date she tried to erase from her memory. The guy was actually an asshole, and she blocked his number to never be contacted by him again. But the boy had been trying to contact her through Ian to go out with her again. But Nina was not interested at all, of course.

"Can Liam not give up? He's becoming annoying", frowned Nina. She never told them that the date was horrible and how Liam really was.

"I like him", said Lara. "He's a nice guy. Why don't you give it a try?"

"Yeah. I think that too. He's a good guy", said Ian eating his sandwich.

"If you knew...", she thought. "I'm dating someone already", said Nina after a long sigh. Lara and Ian looked at each other and then at Nina.

"What?", exclaimed Lara.

"Who?", asked Ian at the same time.

"Hm...", Nina stared at them a moment before answering. "Charles", she finally said.

"Oh my God! I was right!", she exclaimed. "Why did you not tell me? You're such a bad friend", Lara hit her arm playfully. Nina was chuckling.

"Because I didn't know if things would work".

"Are they working?", asked Ian.

"I think so".

"How long have you two been dating?", asked Lara excitedly.

"Five weeks", she answered smiling.

"Look at her! Your silly smile says everything!", her friend exclaimed. "But be careful with him, Charles is older than us, and he's known for being a playboy", said Lara cautiously.

"I know, I know. But he said he was serious".

"And if they have been dating more than a month, I wouldn't think he's playing around", said Ian giving Nina a comforting smile.

"Yeah, I think Ian is right", said Nina.

"Yeah... but it's summer", said Lara.

"It's going to be ok. Don't worry", said Nina. "You are more worried than me".

"Just tell me if he is bad to you. I'll crush his nuts", said Lara. Ian and Nina laughed hard. Did she say crush his nuts? It was so strange since she was so lady-like.

The three of them spent the afternoon together talking about anything, including the planning of a hypothetic double date. The sky was being covered with dark clouds when they parted ways, so Nina rushed to the bus stop.

When the girl got home, her mother had already arrived. Nina could hear her fighting with someone over the phone in her room. Who was she talking with? Nina went to her room to leave her things, and when she went downstairs her mother was in the kitchen already.

"Hi mom", she greeted.

"Nina, when did you arrive?", she asked a bit nervous.

"I got home just now. Is there any problem?".

"No, no, don't worry". She stared at her mother a moment. She didn't look well.

"Are you sure?", she insisted.

"Yeah, there're problems at work as always. I definitely need a few days in Atlanta". She sighed.

"Let me help you with that", said Nina walking into the kitchen.

"No, let me do it. You always cook dinner. Sit there and talk to me. How are you doing? You have not been all day in the house, do you?"

"No, I went to the park with Lara and Ian today. We had a picnic".

"Good, good. If I were you, I'd be hanging out every day with my friends. You're about to start your senior year, you'll be busy studying".

"Yeah, I know". She didn't want to think about school yet.

The food was ready minutes later, and they sat at the table. They didn't talk much since Monica wasn't in the mood, and Nina was trying to come out with a movie that Charles would like. She also has another thing bothering her in her mind.