Chapter 30

Nina got out of the car and walked into the park. Where was Adela? Just when she started to feel anxious, her phone rang. It was a text from her. Nina walked a bit further and barely saw her, it was too dark. She went to meet her.

Adela looked like an animal in a cage. She was walking from one side to another breathing loudly and heavily, she looked horribly anxious.

"Adela", she called her name.

"Why did it take you so long?", she exclaimed. "Be fast, I don't have time for you". Nina noticed her hands were shaking a bit. Nina handed her the cash.

"I want to-"

"Get lost. I said I don't have time for you", she shouted angrily.

Nina shut her mouth and turned on her heels to leave. A man was walking towards them. She held her breath and started to walk slowly but the man passed her without even looking at her. Nina turned around and saw that he was talking and handing a small white envelope to Adela and she gave him money. She got a bad feeling about that so she walked away as fast as she could and climbed into the car. Ian didn't wait for instructions; he started the car and left quickly.

"Are you ok?", asked Lara. "You look pale".

"We saw a strange dude going the same way you went. Did something happen?", said Ian looking at her through the rear mirror.

"No... I don't know", she took her head between her hands. "I think he sold something to Adela".

"What?", Lara turned around.

"There's something fishy about this", said Ian.

A lot of things were spinning in Nina's head but there was one that would not stop ringing. Would be possible that Adela was buying drugs? If she was right, would she have any sort of responsibility for what Adela was doing? If Adela got caught, would she be in trouble too? That was too much to handle by herself, a growing fear installed inside her.

"Oh my God. Do you really think she is doing that?", asked Ian after Nina had spoken her mind. They were outside Lara's house already.

"But it would make sense", said Lara. "If you were to buy something illegal behind your parent's back, would you use their credit card? That could be the reason she asks for money".

"God, I don't know. I'm scared!". Nina was freaking out. "Can I get arrested because she buys these things with the money I gave her?"

"I don't think so. You are giving her money, not the drugs if she actually was buying drugs". Ian was trying to be rational.

"Let's go inside, I have a headache", said Lara.

"I have to go. It's almost midnight", said Ian.

"Oh, ok. Let's talk about it tomorrow. I think we need to calm down". Lara stroked his hand. "Thank you for going with us".

"Don't mention it".

"Nina, let's go", she nodded. Lara pecked Ian and they went inside the house.

After speculating the whole night, the girls went to sleep. Lara asked Nina not to worry about this because there was nothing to blame her about. She would investigate the whole thing though; Lara thought that way Nina would feel at ease. But knowing how stubborn her friend was, Lara didn't say it to Nina because she would refuse any help.