Chapter 26

The next couple of weeks were full of happiness. For some unknown reason, Adela stopped bothering Nina at school. And that was a huge relief and gave her a lot of free time to go out with Charles or spent hot afternoons with him at her house.

It was Friday and both of them were studying in Nina's room. Charles was studying for an exam he was going to have on Monday and Nina was working on her literature project.

"I'm done for today", she sighed, put her laptop away, and went to her desk where Charles was studying. "How are you going", she asked.

"I think I'm gonna crush that exam", he smiled.

"Oh, really?", she chuckled.

"I've been studying all week long, I deserve a prize", Charles pulled her closer at started to kiss her when they heard the door of the house. He stared at Nina confused.

"Nina, are you home?", it was her mother. Nina looked at her phone; it was still 6 pm, why was she home so early?

"Shh, stay here. Don't you dare to make noise", she ran outside the room. "Mom! You're early", she went downstairs.

"My last meeting was canceled so came home right away. Did you make dinner already?"

"No, not yet".

"I'll cook then", she smiled. "And that jacket?", asked her mother staring at the couch.

"Shit!", Nina coursed in her mind. "Lara and Ian came earlier, he left his jacket". That was the first thing that came to her mind.

"They are always together. Lara would study more if it wasn't for him". Nina sighed.

"You also had a boyfriend, Mom".

"Yes, and look at me! I'm alone with my daughter now", she started to grumble and Nina's nerves were a mess.

"Well, I'm working on a project for school. Do you need help with dinner?"

"No, no, go and keep studying. I'm going to take a shower first".

"Ok", she took the jacket from the couch and went to her room.

"What are we gonna do?", asked Charles when he saw her stepping in.

"She's going to take a shower. Leave while she's in the bathroom", he nodded and picked up his things.

Nina was at the door paying attention to every single noise. She heard her mother getting into the bathroom and she popped her head from the stairs.

"Now?", whispered Charles. She shook her head.

About five minutes later, Nina heard the shower, she ran to the first floor to make sure her mother was in the bathroom and made a sign to Charles to come down.

"Go, go", she hurried him.

"Call you later", he ran away. Nina sighed and saw him leaving from the window.

She went to her room and threw herself in the bed. Her nerves were killing her. About thirty minutes later Nina heard her phone buzzing, it was Charles.

"I never had to escape from someone's house", he was laughing.

"I'm sorry", she apologized.

"I didn't get my prize".

"I'll give you your prize after the exam", she chuckled.

"Why not tomorrow?"

"You know my mom is going to be here tomorrow", she pouted.

"My parents will be out tomorrow. Do you want to have lunch at my house?"

"Really? Yeah, I'd really like to", she was excited.

"Nina, dinner is ready!", her mother shouted.

"My mom is calling me. I have to go", she said in a lower voice just in case her mother decided to go upstairs.

"Ok, I'll send you the address later".

"Ok. Go and study".

"Of course, I'll be busy tomorrow", he laughed softly. She smiled like crazy.

Nina sent Lara a message telling her that she was going to Charles' house the next day and she was going to tell her mother that she was having lunch with her and they were going to the mall.

"Don't worry. I have you covered", she replied.

Fortunately, Nina had the best friend in the world. Lara had been covering her for almost two months now. She didn't know what she could have done without her.