Chapter 9

The party was going on smoothly. There were about eighteen people, some were in the pool, others at the terrace, and the rest were at the ping-pong table. Nina was watching the beer-pong match. Matt and Jenna were playing against Tania and Chris, some of Lara's friends.

"Drink that, drink that!". They were laughing and messing around.

"Do you wanna play?", an arm surrounded Nina's shoulders. She stiffened and turned her head.

"Excuse me?", she tried to shake it off. Who was this guy? She had never seen him. Was he one of Jacky's friends? He looked a bit old though.

"I said... Do you wanna play?", he repeated. There was an obvious double connotation in that question. She felt really uncomfortable, and the guy kept an arm around her for quite some time despite her trying to brush him off a few times.

"Let go of me, please", she frowned and tried to push him away.

"Have I said something bad?", he smirked.

"Don't touch her", Charles shacked the guy's arm off with great force and pulled Nina to him. The people next to them turned curious at Charles who came in a rush shouting.

"Sorry dude, I didn't know she was taken".

"Fuck off", spouted Charles irritated, and walked away with Nina.

"Thank you", she stammered.

"Just kick him or scream if he's bothering you. Anyone here would give you a hand", he sighed. "You looked really uncomfortable. Are you ok?"

"Yeah, thank you".

"Let's go to the pool. Lara was asking just for you". Nina nodded.

If Charles was around the pool, how did he know that she was being molested? Was he looking at her at that time?

"There you are!", exclaimed Lara.

"Lara, do you know who is that guy?". Charles pointed to the guy who was still near the ping-pong table.

"Hm... I don't know him. He came with Jacob. Maybe he's a friend from uni".

"Why are you asking?", said Ian.

"Nothing. I'll go to talk to Jacky", he left.

"What was that?", asked Lara confused.

"Nothing, don't worry. Were you looking for me?". Nina sat at the edge of the pool next to them.

Lara insisted for a while, Charles looked angry as hell but Nina avoided the topic. So she gave up after a while. Nina stuck to them for the time being. She saw Charles coming back to the backyard half an hour later.

Lara and Ian were chilling in the pool while Nina was sitting at the edge of it, they have been chatting away about college applications.

"I'm getting hungry", complained Ian.

"Me too. Let's go grab some sandwiches", said Lara getting out of the pool.

"Nina, you coming?", asked Ian.

"Yup", she followed them.

The trio was walking across the backyard when Nina saw Charles laughing with some friends. A soft smile appeared on her face.

"I have spotted him a lot today", she thought.

People started to leave around eight. There were just Ian, Matt, Charles, Jenna and Nina left. They were all gathered in the living room since it was a bit breezy outside. It was 9 p.m already.

"Charles, another beer?", offered Jacky.

"No, I have to drive. Thanks".

"That's why I prefer throwing parties than going to someone's party", he laughed.

"Shall we watch a movie?", asked Lara.

"It's almost half past nine. We should get going if we don't want to get you both in trouble", said Nina.

"That's right", Charles stood up.

"Ian, can we go with you?", asked Matt.

"Of course. Nina, do you want me to give you a lift too?", asked Ian.

"Charles will drive me home. Don't worry". Lara gave an intently look at the two of them but said nothing.

"My imagination is getting wild". She thought.

Everyone got up and got ready to go. When they went outside Nina followed Charles to his car. It was a green Wrangler. She loved Jeeps.

"I like your car", said Nina getting on.

"It's beautiful, right?", he smiled brightly. "I got it for my 20th birthday".

"Oh, when is your birthday?", she asked.

"November 21st. What about yours?"

"December 25th".

"Really?", he exclaimed. "What a date for a birthday. I'll remember it", he smiled at her.

Charles turned the music on and drove to Nina's house. They talked a bit on their way as the songs were switching. Nina found out that Charles's favorite band was Radiohead; as for hers, it was BTS. Forty minutes later, they were outside Nina's house.

"Thank you for bringing me home", said Nina unblocking her belt.

"No problem. See you tomorrow then".

"Charles", she called him.

"Hm?", he fixed his eyes on hers.

"Let's go out on a date".