Chapter 18

| MILES |

MILES' APARTMENT

SUNDAY

“This is ridiculous,” I grumbled under my breath, shoving a handful of Cheese and Green Onion Jumping Jack popcorn in my mouth. I focused my eyes on the laptop screen sitting at the foot of the bed, the Goblin series playing. I can feel Indra’s eyes on me and it’s starting to irritate me. “You’re being ridiculous,” I turned to her, throwing popcorn at her.

“Hey! Don’t hate me,” she said picking it up from the bed covers and shoving it in her mouth as well. “It’s your man that’s cheating, not me,”

“See? You’re ridiculous,” I said throwing another handful of popcorn at her, just because I wanted to. “Mr Stark and I are not dating. It was just sex. And I knew about his…handful of…women at his beck and all,” I said. “And I’m not angry,”

“Last night didn’t seem like it,” she pointed out.

“Last night was last night,” I shrugged, my eyes falling back to the screen. “Besides, what you’re saying is unrealistic. I can’t just be in love with Mr Stark right after having sex with him. That’s not possible. Hell, I just discovered that I like men too. You couldn’t at least give this a month or two-“

“A month or two is ten bottles short in those club shelves,” I gawked at her. “Don’t give me that look. You know very well how bad your alcohol addiction is,”

“I’m not an alcoholic,”

“Keep telling yourself that,” she said snatching the bowl from my lap. “Talking about things help prevent that from happening, okay? Even if you think it’s silly, it’s probably not,” she said softly.

I huffed out, crossing my arm stubbornly. Last night meant nothing to me. Mr Stark has always been with those women, and it never bothered me. Why would it start now? I mean, sure, a part of me was satisfied seeing that woman, Stella I think her name was, storm away from Mr Stark. Whatever he said to her, she didn’t seem to like it. I’d went on with my night very fine and Indra’s exaggerating over this because she’s looking for a bone to pick with Mr Stark.

“Okay fine,” I said pausing the episode. “Maybe I was hurt, seeing her touch him like that. And I quickly realised that it was wrong of me to assume that Mr Stark would drop everyone else, just because he slept with me. That’s not going to happen. We all know that. For all I know, he probably sees me as one of his booty calls now,” I said. “I don’t like him that way. And this doesn’t bother me,”

Indra smiles at me and offers the popcorn. “See? Talking isn’t so bad, after all,” I rolled my eyes, laughing. I grabbed a handful of popcorn while she resume the movie.

“I hate you,” I mumbled.

“And I love you too,” she said smiling widely.

We watched the episode and started a new one. It was Sunday and we’d obviously decided to stay indoors today. Plus, it was cold today, so we had extra blankets all around us and the heater warming my place. I hadn’t bothered to layer up, seeing as I was already feeling warm. I have another week before I see Mr Stark again and hopefully by then, I’d have gotten over whatever came over me. The man is literary about to get married and I’m giving myself to him. I need to stop. I just need to stop. If he ever made a move on me, I’d have to reject him.

Even if it meant losing my job, which is the last thing I want to do on Earth, I’d still do it. I’m not about to be some homewrecker.

My phone rings and I’m almost tempted to ignore it, seeing as it’s Sunday and I don’t have any work until the following week. I grabbed it from the nightstand and frowned. “Why is Mr Stark calling you on a Sunday?” Indra asks the question on my mind. “Does he usually call?”