Chapter 1: Opposing Sides

• Dedicated to Lee Thompson Young

A cold breeze passes a group of people standing on a hill. They are always wandering. As they continue their journey to nowhere in particular, they look down the hill through lace veils. An angry mob is charging up the hill but all the black veils disappear. A member of the mob opens their mouth in shock as they see a black mist run down the hill. No one moves.

Everyone knows you cannot escape the black mist. The mob slowly falls to the prairie floor. They all smile before they fall asleep. After a day passes the mob wakes up.They are baffled. They look at each other and they release their sadness, anger, and other emotions from their dreams through violence.

Something in their dreams made them react this way.They kill each other because violence is the only thing they know. It is the only thing their hungry dreams left behind. Two days later a messenger stumbles upon the dead bodies and alerts the leaders of the Gorge gang. Sam takes in the information, but he does not show any emotion in his face. Instead, he storms out of the meeting room and into his office. Tetris slowly follows Casey to Sam's office. A young man enters the room with a grey suit and a white shirt. Some of his lazy, ear length curls fall into his face as he looks down at Sam's desk.

Sam abruptly stands up and grabs the secretary's face. "Did you know that one hundred people died this week?" Sam asked. "John, this is your fault because you are not like Brian," Sam said. He began to slam John's head against the desk. John falls to the ground after Sam releases him.

Sam kicks the desk on top of John. Then he walks around the desk and drags him to the patio on the ten-story building. He pulls him close to him, and he kisses him on the lips just before he throws him off the third floor. As Sam picks up his desk, Casey came to the door. "Where is John?" Casey asks.

"He fell out of the window," Sam says curtly. Casey runs to the patio and looks over the banister. "I think that he is dead this time," Casey says. She thubjs about the five assistants Sam killed last month. "Do you know how hard it is to find guys that look like that?" Casey asks.

"They can look like Brian, but they can never be Brian," Sam says. Casey runs to Sam's desk and closes her right hand. She swings her fist at him and Tetris pulls Casey's fist back. Casey and Sam fought each other often. Tetris thinks it is amusing but she knows that Bells will be coming down the hall at any second. He has to pass their offices to get to his office, and he should be coming back from his lunch break. She does not want him to see them fighting again. The last time Bells saw them fighting they were sent to assist mentally ill patients in an institution for six months.

She did not want them to disappear again. The Gorge gang needs them to be here especially during this difficult time. Also, she was not too fond of being overwhelmed with their work and her own.Tetris feels like Bells does not trust them. Bells is a mysterious man and that really bothers her.

"Tetris, I need to see you in the boardroom and do not bring these idiots with you," Bells says."I am not an idiot," Sam and Casey say simultaneously. Bells glare at them and Tetris gently nudges Bells out of the door. He snatches Tetris's hands and he said", do not do that." He releases her hands and briskly walks away. She slowly follows Bells because she wants to keep some distance between the two of them.

Casey grabs Tetris's hand  before Tetris can enter his office. Casey laughs as they runs down the stairs and out of the building. There is no black veil in sight when they get to the border between Gorge and the cult's territory. "I do not want you to get into trouble because of Sam and I. So, I thought the best plan was to run from the monster named, Bells. You don't deserve to be bottled up and assisting in a mental institution." Casey says.

Tetris does not understand why Casey took her to the border until she sees the beautiful sunset. It is unusual because black mist circles the setting Sun. The cult is the enemy but Tetris feels like they made things pretty sometimes. Casey releases her hand and feels a tingle shoot from her hand up her spine. "I have to leave to meet up with my girlfriend... I am sorry," Casey said.