Chapter 15

Music: Run by snow patrol

-

"Niklaus! Where are you?" Elijah clamoured as he hastily strode into the compound.

"What! I'm here." Klaus spoke with a tad umbrage, irritated by Elijah's pother.

"We need to talk," Elijah said briskly, pushing him into the direction of the dining room.

"Now we're here, I shouldn't neglect to tell you I have a pressing matter as well, but go ahead, get it off your chest brother," Klaus insisted as he filled two glasses with French bourbon.

"Niklaus, our father. I saw him, standing there in the flesh as you do now." He paused a moment to look at his brother's face which was filled with turmoil. "He was enslaved with some spell cast by Davina. He holds the stake. If she chooses to release him..," he shook his head.

Klaus nodded, his face fraught with venom. "Well then there's one question we need to ask," he spoke up, raising his head with determination, "Which of our parents do we kill first?"

A deep furrow rose on Elijah's forehead.

"Niklaus, what are you talking about?"

"Cassie, the girl that has been distributing moonlight rings in the wolves' community." He grasped a bottle and broke its neck to pour the liquor in his mouth. "I met the witch, I studied her, her presence, the way she carried herself. The fervour with which she voiced her hatred of our kind." He gritted his teeth.

Elijah crossed his arms over his chest, his facing turning questioning.

"I looked into that girl's eyes, and I swear to you Elijah, she's not just guided by our mother, she is our mother!" Klaus continued with more zeal in his voice.

Elijah looked away, walking into the room. "What is happening" the question was as much directed to himself as to his brother.

"I'm going to kill them, I'll boil their bones and feed them to the dogs if that's what it takes."

"Niklaus!"

"What! Elijah." Klaus said irritated.

"She's not safe here." His words were spoken absent, his eyes narrowing.

"What are you talking about?" Klaus queried.

Elijah whooshed to the balcony that looked out over compound's garden. He watched as Hayley led some of her wolves in side. "You girls can go there," she pointed with her finger, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. When the girls left Hayley looked up seeing Elijah, she smiled. "Elijah, I did as you said, I reached out to my family."

Elijah descended the stairs, walking towards her. He cupped her elbow, ignoring what she said. "We need to talk." He didn't look at her, but he cocked his head towards the study, his hand resting on her back so she would follow.

Hayley grasped his hand when he slammed the door closed behind them. "Elijah, what is wrong?" her expression was anxious. Her eyes searched his, he was trying to avoid her but she didn't miss the flash of distress that hid in them. "Tell me, Elijah."

He shook his head, "My... our parents have returned, Hayley."

She frowned and squeezed his hand. "How..?"

He brushed his hand roughly through his hair. "I don't know, Hayley." He took a breathy sigh. "Davina resurrected Mikael with the plan to take down Klaus for good. And my mother.., I imagine she has enough tricks up her sleeve." He gritted his teeth. "We have enough enemies here as it is, and now even my own family is endangering the chance of giving Hope a safe home here."

"Elijah, your ratchet mother and her disciples tried to put a carving knife through Hope, I'll happily add to the body count."

He grasped her other hand, drawing her attention. "You don't understand Hayley, this aren't easily defeated Guarrera wolves. My parents are a thousand years old, they have be hunting us for as long as I can recall, nothing, nothing will stop them."

"And nothing will stop us from defending Hope."

"You're not safe here, they won't show mercy and they'll go as far as need be to get me and Niklaus defeated. If they find out what you mean to me.., to us... they'll kill you." He sighed, "The only way you'll survive this, is if you pack your bags, leave New Orleans and never look back." Elijah clenched his teeth.

Hayley frowned deeply, she pulled her hand from his grasp. Her mouth opened, but no words came out. She squeezed her eyes. "No. I'm not running away."

Elijah cupped her cheek, "Hayley, you have no choice. You must leave, tonight. Forget us. Niklaus, me. Forget that you ever loved me."

Hayley shook her head furiously, "No! I'm not going anywhere. This is my home! What about our family ? Does Klaus agree with this bullshit? What about us, Elijah! I love you!"

His fingers brushed through her hair, "don't you see ? Don't you understand?" Elijah shook his head. "Nothing good ever comes from loving me, Hayley," his voice sounded so vulnerable. "Everything I love dies because of me, one way or another. I'm dangerous for you, Hayley.

Hayley's eyes started filling with water. "No! You're just afraid of being happy, Elijah." Hayley cupped his face with her hands, forcing him to look at her. "Look at me, I'm here. I love you. You and I ? That was supposed to be forever. I can't live without you, Elijah." She tried to stop the tears pouring from her eyes. "If I leave now, I'm doomed to an eternity of unhappiness."

Elijah grasped her hands, pulling them from his face, and holding them in his own. "You are by far the most beautiful thing I have experienced in my life, Hayley Marshall. I love you." A tear rolled down his cheek. He brought his lips to her head, his hands closing around her neck. He placed a soft kiss to her forehead. "And that's why I have to let you go. Goodbye..."

He retreated and disappeared. His scent, his entire existence disappearing in so much as a heartbeat. Hayley sagged down on the ground, her knees hitting the ground one for one. She covered her face to stop the endless stream of tears.