Chapter 3

"I have a caramel macchiato with your name on it..." Scott leaned against the door by the theater exit. "Or at least an attempt at your name, since the barista wrote Kristen."

The woman turned quickly, accompanied by a friend and a friend. She threw herself at Scott, who just opened his arms to accept her and then hugged her tightly. They stood there for a moment before Scott kissed her on the hair and handed her the cup.

"I hope it's still your favorite," he smiled, his blue eyes sparkling.

"Yeah..." Kirstin took a sip and sighed. "It's still my favorite."

"Hm... Kirstin?" The black man called her, raising his eyebrows at Scott.

"Oh darn, yes... these are Dan and Mandy, my friends, and this here is my wonderful friend Scott Hoying."

"Hi," Scott smiled at the two, with one arm around Kirstin. "Nice to meet you both."

"You're friends with Scott Hoying?" Mandy asked incredulously, letting out a disbelieving laugh and looking at the man beside her.

"Sweetie, I used to date him," Kirstin rolled her eyes and felt Scott chuckle softly, looking at him. "He was a terrible boyfriend..."

"Hey..." Scott furrowed his brows a bit indignantly. "I was at least decent."

Kirstin smiled at him.

"So... can I steal you for the rest of the afternoon, or do you have any commitments?" Scott asked, biting his lip.

"Darling, if it means spending time with you... I'll cancel any commitment." Kirstin teased him.

"Well, because we're going shopping." Scott raised his eyebrows. "I have to spoil you a little to make up for the last few years we haven't seen each other."

"I can accept that." Kirstin nudged Scott in the waist, glanced at the other two. "I'll see you later."

She pulled Scott by the arm before letting him wrap her around again.

"I want to know everything you've been up to," she looped her arm around his waist and looked at him. "How are you?"

"I can't complain," he shrugged and took a sip of his own latte. "Life's been good to me."

"Cut it out, you deserved everything that happened to you," Kirstin shook her head.

Scott bit his tongue to the comment that almost slipped out; it wasn't time for that conversation yet.

"Tell me how you're doing," Scott looked at the smaller woman. "How's life been treating you?"

"I'm making progress, it's slow progress, but it's progress," Kirstin smiled. "The season's ending, so I'll start auditioning soon."

"Fingers crossed," Scott nodded. "So... can I spoil you with something from Louis Vuitton? Or Christian Louboutin?"

"You don't need to give me anything," Kirstin shook her head. "I'm just happy you're here. I never wanted to lose touch."

"Well, that was my fault, I got so overwhelmed with everything... so many meetings, recordings..."

"Not to mention the fact that I was a constant reminder that he wasn't talking to you," Kirstin looked at the street.

Scott didn't respond, just took a deep breath.

"Did he talk to you?"

"No."

"I'm gonna kick his ass," Kirstin sighed, shaking her head. "He's being so stubborn."

"I just wanted to understand," Scott looked at her. "That's all..."