Chapter 16

He lay on the lounge chair, gazing up at the dark sky. The full moon shone down on him.

"Talking to the Moon, try'na get to you," Scott crooned softly, sighing as he rested his head back on the chair, his eyes closing as his mind drifted into a memory.

The two teenagers lay on the car hood, gazing at the night sky. Their shoulders brushed as they pointed out clouds, trying to make out shapes.

"I'm going to miss you," Mitch said softly. "I can't believe you're leaving."

Scott turned his head to look at him, taking his hand and intertwining their fingers.

"When you miss me but can't talk to me..." Scott spoke softly. "Talk to the moon. When it shows up in California, it'll tell me everything you said to it."

Mitch burst out laughing. "That's the most cliché thing you've ever said to me," he teased with an arched eyebrow.

"I know, but I couldn't think of anything better," Scott replied, laughing. "Kirstin keeps playing 'Talking to the Moon,' and it's stuck in my head."

They exchanged smiles that gradually faded, their lips relaxing completely.

"No matter where I am, you'll always be with me," Scott said softly, watching Mitch shake his head in disbelief.

"That's not true, Scott... things aren't that simple," Mitch countered.

"It's my truth," Scott squeezed the boy's hand and looked back at the sky. "Talking to the moon, try'na get to you..." he sang softly and closed his eyes.

"In hopes you're on the other side talking to me too..." Mitch looked at the sky as well, and they shared the silence.

"I'm pretty sure that cloud looks like a dog drinking water," Scott pointed out a cloud. Mitch laughed before squinting his eyes and tilting his head to the side.

"I think you're right."

Scott rested his head on his arm, gazing up at the sky. Los Angeles had a relatively clear sky that night. Whenever people asked why he had a tattoo on his collarbone depicting all the phases of the moon, he'd simply say it was because he loved the moon. He wasn't sure if Kirstin knew about that night.

His phone lay still between his legs, no messages. At least not from the person he truly wanted to hear from.

*

Mitch parked outside the house and looked at the poorly maintained lawn, which needed trimming and hedge pruning. He closed the truck's door and approached the entrance. He waited a moment until the elderly woman appeared and looked at him.

"Mr. Grassi?" She asked, puzzled.

"Mrs. Mendel." Mitch smiled at her, feeling his neck warming up. "Uh... I was wondering if you need any help?" He offered, glancing at the lawn. "I can mow your grass or clean anything you're having trouble with, do your shopping, or lift anything too heavy for you."

The woman raised her eyebrows before smiling at him and gesturing for him to come in. Mitch nodded and knocked his feet on the doorstep before entering.

"I've already asked one of the neighbors' son to take care of the garden, dear." She accepted the arm he offered and led him to the kitchen. "Sit down... sit down, would you like some lemonade?"

"Sure, I'd love some." Mitch sat in a chair, discreetly leaving the chair next to him slightly further away so she could sit comfortably.

The woman opened the fridge, took out the chilled lemonade jug, and brought it to the table before getting two glasses. She poured him a glass before serving herself.