Chapter 5

Scott was leaning against the wall, staring at the other end of the hallway, trying to put everything into perspective. Rick had lung damage, with nearly 30% of his body burned. He held his phone against his thigh, trying to think and stay calm. He could hear his mother and sister talking not far from him. His father had gone into surgery for wound debridement, and he had heard that Mike was also in surgery.

Connie approached her youngest son and touched his shoulders, drawing his attention. "Lauren's plane is about to land," she said, sitting beside him.

"I'll go pick her up," Scott nodded and turned back to stare at the wall. "Any news?"

"Not yet, but the doctors think your father needs to be transferred to another hospital."

Scott nodded. "Mom, the insurance..."

"Already taken care of. I'll pay whatever is necessary," he interrupted his mother, looking at her and reaching out to hold her hand. "I don't want to hear you worrying about money. I'll cover whatever needs to be covered. That's not a concern."

Connie sighed and nodded, handing the car keys to her son before standing up again. Scott licked his lips and waited for a few seconds before standing up himself, focusing on calling Esther.

"Hey, how is he?" she asked as soon as she answered the call.

"Still in surgery. We might have to move him to another hospital, and my mom is worried about the bills. I need to access my financial investments. I don't want them to go through any hardship."

"I'll take care of that, don't worry about that part."

"Has the press found out yet?" Scott was cautiously approaching the hospital doors, having managed to avoid the journalists when he arrived, but his mother had parked in front.

"Not yet, why?"

"They'll find out now. I'm going to pick up my sister from the airport, and the hospital is swarming with journalists."

"I'll prepare a statement. Just keep your head down and say as little as possible if you have to."

"I won't want to."

"I know. Call me as soon as you have any news," she sighed. "Scott, he's going to be okay."

"I know," Scott stood still before entering the entrance hall. "Esther..."

"What?"

"Thank you."

"You don't have to thank me, you big goof. I love you. You know that."

"I'd be lost without you."

"Now you're speaking the truth. Go get your sister and call me with updates as soon as possible. I'll handle the press and the money. Forget about everything else."

He hung up and took a deep breath, pulling his cap down and putting on his sunglasses. The sun was shining happily in Texas that day. He walked out through the hospital doors with his head down, and immediately the cameras turned towards him. He tried to slip away from the side, but someone called his name. Scott kept walking, trying to evade the cameras that were coming in front of him. Without security, it would turn into chaos. He managed to squeeze between two journalists and ran towards where his mother had said she had parked earlier. He could hear the journalists behind him, opened the car, and got in as quickly as he could. He started the car and drove carefully, seeing the journalists retreat. He breathed deeply when he managed to leave the parking lot. It was going to be hell.

*

"So he ran into the damn burning theater because he heard mine and Scott's voices?" Mitch stood there, staring at Jessa.