Chapter 19

Scott walked into the bar amidst the noise. Some people looked at him with surprise, the security guard walking a few steps behind him. The singer was annoyed; Esther had insisted he go out with the security until the commotion around him settled. The blond headed straight for the bar and leaned against it, waiting. He scanned the place trying to find Mitch.

"What'll it be?" the bartender asked.

"A beer and a bottle of water," Scott ordered, looking at the bartender, noticing the recognition in his eyes, and handed over his card where his tab would be recorded. "Do you know if Dylan Chambers has arrived?"

"Yeah, he's at one of the tables near the stage. Are you signing up for the competition?" the man asked, and Scott raised an eyebrow. "Dylan will explain."

Scott nodded and handed the water bottle to the security guard, who silently thanked him. He made his way to the tables near the stage and immediately spotted Mitch standing, talking to a dark-haired woman who was sitting.

"Hey," he approached and placed his hand on Mitch's mid-back.

The man turned around, startled, and instinctively wrapped his arms around the singer's neck, squeezing him. Scott hugged him back, pulling him close for a moment before they both stepped back simultaneously.

"Nice beard," Scott joked with a smile, hearing Mitch's groan and letting out a chuckle. "What?"

"I want to shave it off, but I'm too lazy," the brunet shrugged before pointing to the woman sitting. "This is Kelly, Austin's wife, do you remember Austin?"

"Yeah, I remember Austin," Scott spoke confusedly, leaning to shake the woman's hand.

"Weed and alcohol, he's ecstatic," the woman explained, and Scott chuckled quietly. "Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you," he replied and felt some taps on his shoulder, turning to see Mitch smiling.

"Nate promised to teach me how to drive the truck, so I'll share the driving with him on the way back."

"You're excited like a 5-year-old for this?" Scott raised an eyebrow, finding the excitement amusing.

"Have you ever driven a truck?" Mitch raised an eyebrow. Scott chuckled softly and shook his head. He felt a pat on his back and turned to find Dylan smiling, they exchanged a quick hug before he shook hands with Austin. Nate had stayed a few steps away, looking at the small space between Scott and Mitch. The singer noticed the hesitation and extended his hand to him with a smile, Nathan shook his hand.

"So, he told me something about driving a truck?" the singer raised his light eyebrows. "You know he needed two driving tests to get his license, right?"

"He didn't tell me that part," the officer narrowed his eyes, and Scott chuckled.

"Keep your hand on the handbrake just in case."

The officer nodded and chuckled softly, Mitch approached the two.

"What's the subject?"

The two men looked at each other clearly trying to find a plausible lie, but Dylan came to their rescue.

"Are you competing?" he asked Scott.

"Competing?"

"You didn't tell him?" Dylan turned to Mitch, who shook his head. "Okay... so once a month, there's a competition in the bar. People sign up, and the DJ picks a random song that he thinks fits you, and you have to sing it."

"Okay..."

"$500 prize money."

"Will they let me compete? I mean... I'm kind of a professional singer," Scott joked, and Dylan stopped for a moment.