Chapter 3

A/N - Just so you guys know

*** The characters in this story are Indians/NRI Indians & this story is written in Indian English *** 

For a moment it felt as though, someone had pressed the switch off button of her brain. There was pin-drop-silence in that small space before she unfroze, as though freed from some kind of spell. Blinking her eyelids several times, when she could finally see the button pad in the darkness, she frantically began pressing any random key like a mad woman and from out of nowhere a large hand grabbed her wrist and pulled her away.

She tried to free herself from the grip, jumping up and down like a crazy monkey.

"Shhhh... Shhh" said a domineering male voice. She was overwhelmed with fear; her dream still fresh as morning dew. She thought, if she didn't do something, she would end up as a dead piece of shit.

"Don't. Shush. Me" she shouted. "I want to get out of this fucxxxg box. NOW!!!! LIKE RIGHT NOW!!! HELP, SOMEBODY HELP!!!" she yelled until he grabbed her shoulders and pushed her towards an elevator wall. That came as a total shocker; he was strong enough to cage her between his sturdy arms and the elevator wall.

"I'll get you out of here. But first, you need to listen to me" his voice was so firm and assuring that as a reflex, she immediately shut her mouth. Somehow, she trusted that stranger whose face was just inches away from hers.

"P-Promise?" Trying to search his eyes, she asked in a shaky voice. She couldn't thank him enough for his support, else, she would have ended up on the floor by then, given her jelly legs.

"Promise" She felt his breath right on her face; voice, a firm whisper. Even in that darkness she could feel his eyes observing her as though, studying a specimen in a laboratory. Well, let's say the way she behaved minutes ago was not normal, but that was totally circumstantial. She got almost killed in her dream that morning and now, the damn elevator was getting the worst out of her.

Concluding his observation with a declaration of she being relaxed and normal, he backed off from her and eventually pressed the emergency button of the elevator which she had absurdly missed, when overwhelmed with paranoia. How could I miss that one key that can practically save my life? She drowned in embarrassment.

"Do you work here?" He suddenly enquired. Samaira was still in daze and could apprehend just thirty percent of her surroundings.

"H-Hmm?" The panic in her voice proved the strange scientist's observation wrong. The moment he sensed her distress, he stood right next to her, taking her hand in his. Samaira was completely shaken by that gesture. "You must be claustrophobic" His words were more of a statement. She nodded and whispered a 'Yes'. There were four co-travellers earlier she remembered and wondered where the remaining three had disappeared to, when there was another tremor in the elevator.

The noise was loud enough for her panic to empower all other senses within her, including her common sense. Adrenaline rushed through her veins when a phantom voice screamed in her ears- 'DIE!... YOU WERE MEANT TO DIE!!' She freed her hand from his grip in one blow and ran towards the door, banging it like a freak. "I don't want to die, please, just leave me alone" she pleaded, blabbering nonsense as she cried louder than ever. She sweated, panted and suffocated to hell, but just couldn't give up.

Annoyed with the constant tap on her shoulder, when her head snapped in the direction of the strange scientist, a hand came in her view, trying to reach her throat. "DIE" said the sinister voice again as the hand caught her throat. Unable to breathe, tears flowed down her cheeks blurring her vision and at last, her body gave up.