16) News from Home

It was almost nightfall when they stopped again to make camp. In the distance, a massive mountain range dominated the skyline and left an imposing shadow that they could almost reach. They were close, Naira was just a leap over it. The Monks, according to Alexander, had carved large halls into the mountain face on the other side. Said to be one of the most extraordinary places on the continent with pillared columns of gray and clay stone rivaling the great temples built on the blue coasts of Greece. Lucy had to admit she was both nervous and slightly excited to see it, although her mother's warning still burned in her head. These monks were not gentle scholars. They were known for grueling and sometimes cruel methods to get their students up to their high standards.

Sitting at the fireside, she glanced away from the mountain range to Alexander who lay spread out on the other side of the flames, rifling through stacks of parchment with a concentrated look on his handsome face. Her breath caught, as it did so often in these quiet moments, and she was sharply reminded of the burning love she carried for him.

How could she do this? How could she maintain this lie and cold distance from a man she craved every second of the day?

He looked up, sensing her stare and she quickly blinked away, smoothing the front of her blouse down. "What is that you are looking over?" she asked after clearing her throat. Hunter, still sulking from their earlier argument, had gone off to take a piss so they had a rare moment alone, without him poking through her head.

Alexander shifted off his elbow, sitting up. "They are correspondences. With the letters I sent out in witch land, I asked for ravens to be sent to Bone with replies. It seems We have found ourselves a few worthy allies."

"Who?" Lucy asked, not having to feign interest at this point. Lady Katherine's lessons on the great houses and families of Espen were finally proving useful, as she recognized most of the names Alexander listed off. This lord and that lord, a marquess and viscount. A surprising amount had agreed to fight with them, but would it be enough?

"Duke Leopold, of course, has remained woefully undecided. I am not surprised. I am sure my dear cousin is ever so hopeful that my brother and I fall in battle so that he can swoop in and claim the throne for himself," Alexander finished bitterly. He shifted the papers, pulling one out that was more faded than the others. "Priestess Artemisia has written that she convinced two more covens to join our cause. And," he hesitated, his sharp jaw softening a fraction, "There is a letter here from your mother."

Lucy's heart leapt. Instantly, she jumped to her feet and fumbled around the fire to snatch up the letter from the King's deft fingers, shooting him a look of displeasure for not saying anything sooner. She ripped open the sealed envelope, hungry eyes grazing over the paper.

"Dearest daughter,
I hope this letter finds you well. The time you've been away is a great thorn in my heart, as I miss you beyond measure. I'm confident your trip is proving fruitful and you are staying safe with your new husband. Meeting all sorts of interesting people. Do not forget your studies, for scholars can prove quite rigorous in their teachings. You would not do well to fail. I myself have just had a wonderful visit from our beloved mutual friend who works at the manor as a maid up the road. You know, the blonde haired one who is also acquainted with your lovely husband?
"

Lucy paused in her reading, momentarily stumped. This letter did not sound at all like something her mother would write. It was clear to her that she was trying to indicate that Scarlett had visited her without saying it outright. Strange, considering she had found her mother to be a blunt woman, indeed...

Lucy took a moment to ponder. The reasoning came to her the very second Alexander spoke, taking in her puzzled expression. "She is likely writing in code in case the letter was intercepted."