36) Private Messages

Alexander leaned against one of the many columns that made up the outer entryway of Fillmor's dwelling. He had his arms crossed over his chest, staring at the only road that led into the town of Babarrie. It was long after sun down, and Luciana and her cat had yet to make an appearance.

Guild and anger mashed around dangerously inside of him, knowing he never should have left her side in the first place. But with her emotions strung so tightly, and his own nerves coiled dangerously after having to see that room again. He clenched his teeth, fighting the urge to ram his fist into the support beam. An act that would have caused the hut to collapse in the front.

How could he have let himself react in such a manner? In a time of war no less.

Footsteps behind him made him look over his shoulder to find the large, half dressed warrior. His chest, free of cloth, was shielded by ink. Each one a mark of some act of valor he performed for his people. In fact, aside from his face, there was almost no free space on his dark bronze skin. Save for maybe his palms and soles of his feet, which were also bare.

"You are worrying about this female, yes?" His broken English had improved over the years, but it was still obviously not his first language.

The dragon king just nodded his head once, resuming his staring into the black forest. He had the urge to shift and take to the air, but knew there was no area nearby big enough. And since these people lived off the land, it would have devastated their system if he went clearing large spaces of trees around them.

Fillmore stepped up alongside him, "If it eases you, I will send members of the pack out for them."

Alexander nodded again, but did not move his gaze, "Let me know when they are ready. I will join them."

His flightless ally let out a humored chortle, "I mean no insult brother." He smiled when his guest decided to look at him. "When it comes to air, you are superior. But by the way of forest, I fear your two legs will lag."

Before he could make a comment about him minding his own, the sound of hoof beats against the ground grew their attention to the road. He ran out to meet them, stopping both animals as they approached.

Hurrying to Luciana's side, he reached up and easily plucked her from her mount. Burying his face into her unruly hair, taking deep breaths of her scent into his lungs. "I am sorry," he breathed against her, at the same time she cried it into his neck. Pulling back just enough so that he could capture her mouth with his, he took her breath away with a passionate kiss.

It was not until someone, an annoyed cat, cleared their throat was his innocent little bride reminded they were not alone. Causing her to pull back with embarrassment, wiggling until he set her down on her own two feet.

Although he was half tempted to keep holding her against him and letting her wiggle. If she were a dragon, she would not have been surprised if he laid her down right there in the street. Making intense love to her as a real apology, and in front of an audience, until she screamed she forgave him. 

That way there was proof all was well again, as it should be.

"What took you so long?" He cupped her cheek with one hand, and her belly with the other, swearing it had grown slightly in the day and a half he was away from her.

Her eyes left him to look over at her Familiar; who was helping a third, unnoticed, person from his horse.

Once they were all dismounted, the person removed their hood to reveal Lilith. Her eyes only lingering on her cousin before lifting to her ex's. "Alexander," she purred his name in that tone that was always suggestive. "It is good to see you again so soon."