35) Nightmares

Lucy sat cross legged under the full branches of an Oak, the toy knight in her hands as she fiddled with it in a loving manner. Lifting its sword into the air and lowering it back down at the same time bringing the shield up to defend against an unseen attack. She galloped it over her belly.
Hardly able to wait any longer to meet him, knowing very well he would come into the world in less than a month. Remember just how fast the first month had gone, surprised to find that with all the fighting over, it could not come fast enough now. She knew she was already looking farther along than she was supposed to, but it did not stop her impatience.

"He will be here sooner than you know." The voice was not Alexander's yet somehow blanketed her in a feeling of relief. "His power leaks from you even now," a set of feet appear near her legs before the owner crouches down. "I can help. Help him get here sooner, if that is what you want, Luciana."

Her heart swelled with love, her head nodding frantically. Wanting to hold Caspian in her arms now, if it were possible. The pair of hands reached out, one taking the toy from her slowly, before joining the other flat on her stomach.

A cold sensation spread through her, like she had just taken a plunge into a frozen stream. It was not the warm loving sensation his voice had brought, the same feeling that mirrored her Dragon king's presence. It was dark and evil.

Lifting her eyes, she was met with the menacing look of her father's enjoyment. Lucy tried to push him away, but her hands went straight through him as if he were not even there. Her gaze dropped back down to watch as her belly grew, over twice the size it had been when she had first found Alexander's toy.

"He will be here soon," his voice brought a wave of pain, "Then his power will be mine."

Lucy's eyes shot open as she gasped for air, causing Hunter to sit up on the other side of the fire still burning between them.

He looked around first for a threat, just like Alexander would have, only to come back to his Forged. Except when he went to ask her what was wrong, his eyes widened and his mouth fell open. "Lucy, your stomach."

Pushing herself up into a sitting position, still struggling to catch her breath, she found what he was talking about. Just like in her dream, her belly had grown, only this time it was almost three times the size. She opened her mouth, then closed it again, unable to speak.

Had Endon done this? Had he touched her son through her unconsciousness?

"Lucy," he tried again, but he could only repeat himself. "Your stomach."

She touched it tentatively, jerking her hand away when there was movement from inside. When her son jumped at the contact, she felt it in the most intimate way she could. In her heart. She gasped, tears springing to her eyes as she laid the hand flat. Under her palm, something bumped into her, like a small hand reaching out to touch hers.

"How...?" He started, but she just shook her head. Telling him she did not know, when she just refused to say anything.

What would people think if they knew Endon had done this? Was that the reason Caspian could become dark? Or was that just his destiny?

"Not that I am complaining about his absence, but do not you think it would be better if the lizard was with us right now?" Hunter got up from where he had just been sleeping, making his way over so he could help her sit up properly.

She did not want to talk about Alexander's absence, not when he had moved on before they arrived at the next town. With a letter telling them where to go next. He had not waited for her, which meant he was mad at her or hurt that she sent him away in the first place. "If he wanted to be here, he would. However, he is not."