C h a r i t y

I'm not sure how long I've been running but the hoplites have been hot on my trail for quite some time. Horses and wheels are a little faster than feet. I do know, however, that any more physical exertion, and I am going to hurl. 

Up the road ahead, I spot a thicket and decide to take my chance. Glancing behind me, I see that the hoplites have not yet rounded the last curve in the road. I quickly say a prayer, take a sharp right and dive headlong into the bush. I scramble up, as quickly as I can in the dense space and crouch on my heels. Hopefully the rushing of the creek behind me will drown out how heavily I'm breathing. I look down at my hands and realize I'm still holding the excommunication seal I ran out of the palace with. So, this is who I am now? Traitor of the crown? Delinquent of the Empress? Disappointment of the nation. Suddenly disgusted with myself, I quickly stuff it into the folds of my chiton, wiping the back of my arm across my forehead. 

Moments later, the thundering of chariots and horses race past me. I hold my breath until they pass, and then glance around. The only way out of the bush that I saw seems to be forward, until I twist as much as I can and strain to look behind me. The bush is compact on both sides. I notice that I seem to actually be perched between two separate bushes that have grown together. 

Leaning forward, I peer between the shrubs. Just when I'm about to push my way out, I hear the guards rapidly returning. I jump back so quickly that I lose my balance on my heels and fall backwards through the foliage, tumbling down the sharp decline, and into the creek below. 

Sputtering, I sit up. Once I confirm nothing is broken, I carefully get up, arms extended like a scarecrow and make my way out of the creek and into the sun. Luckily, we have just reached the peak of summer, so I'll only have to stand here for a few minutes. I'm about five or so feet down from where I was before, so even if the guards are standing exactly in front of where I had been crouched, they won't be able to see me. Just as I turn to get some distance from the creek, something shimmering in the water catches my eye. It's the stupid seal. I quickly grab it, trying once again to shove it into my soaking wet gown. 

     "I can't even take this stupid thing off!" I say out loud, peeling the drenched cloth from my body, and letting it hang loosely. I sigh, looking around. To my left, a small lush meadow that the creek runs through. It expands about a mile out before joining the sharp incline that runs along the roadside. To my right, meadow as well, but for miles and miles as it leads into town. If I start walking and stay close to the inclines edge, I should be able to stay right under the guards noses - and they still won't be able to see me. 

As I walk, I pull my hair down, out of its style, and start to wring it out with my hands. I am starting to regret not bringing sandals, too. I had quite the journey ahead of me. Alexios' house is all the way across town from what I saw in the cartography room. If I kept moving, I might make it before sundown.

About an hour into walking, I pass some farmers, who eye me curiously. The thought of being surrounded by food made my stomach rumble in jealousy. I begin to wave and realize that no one outside of the palace will recognize me in this foul state. And I don't have any money. How am I going to eat? Now, becoming even on the road with the farmers, I hang my head, shuffling along. 

Coming up on the edge of town, I pause. The town is beautiful! Stone houses lined the streets, with ornate pillars supporting domes in their courts. Each house has intricate carvings on the pillars and many of them look like they tell some sort of story. Children and animals run freely in the streets and no one seems to be burdened or stressed at all! Why had mother hid this from me all these years? Always telling me how filthy the people were, and how ugly the architecture was. Either she has never been down here herself, or she can't recognize beauty, even when it stares her in the face. 

I sigh, inhaling deeply, and then begin walking down the main street. Vendors line each side. Some were selling jewelry, although none compare to what we have hidden deep in the palace.  Other vendors are selling handspun pots, bowls, plates and the like. Others are selling hand-woven cloth, others have weapons, foods, foreign goods. It seemed like anything you could think you'd ever need was here on this road, and I was impressed. 

The only thing that seemed to separate me from these people were the clothes we had on. They too wore chitons, but nowhere near as ornate and clean as ours. I giggle as I passed the metalsmiths and saw they only wore loincloths. That was understandable, considering it was so warm out, and probably twice as warm near the forges. 

A rather loud rumble from my stomach takes me out of my enjoyment of the town, and I glance around. Obviously I can't buy anything, but the only thing I see readily available are the olive trees peeking out from behind some of the vendors tents. 

I still have to cross the town to find Alexios' house, so I better try to get something along the way. 

Ignoring my stomach, I continue walking. The next time my stomach rumbles almost has me doubled over in pain. I'd missed dinner last night, skipped breakfast today and it was already late afternoon. Glancing in both directions, I slip between two unoccupied tents and approach the large olive tree. It looks to be about full maturity, so it had to have been here at least three years. Circling behind the tree, I reached for the lowest branch when an old voice startles me. 

     "You shouldn't be back here, young lady." The voice says. I step back and peek around the tree.  A short older lady is standing on the other side. She has beautiful silver hair, wrinkled tan skin and she was wearing a cream colored chiton, a navy square of fabric served as an apron tied around her waist. 

     "I'm sorry. I really am. It's just-" I can't tell her who I am. I can't tell anyone. And without any proof, who would even believe me? I have the pendant, but why would I want to introduce myself as 'excommunicated'? I swallow, saying, "I've just been walking for hours and I'm so hungry. Is this your tree? I'll only trouble you for two or three olives."

The lady doesn't say anything. Instead she disappears behind the tent and returns with an apple and a small loaf of bread. Shoving them toward me, one in each hand, she says, "This is about all I can give you right now. Sales haven't been good here lately."

   My eyes lit up as I took the food. "Oh thank you!" I smile at her. "I will certainly remember your generosity." I lift the apple to my mouth, marvelling at how large it is. I start to take a bite when the old lady speaks again. 

     "It's my pleasure, princess." She winks at me, turning away and disappearing back into the tent. 

I stand there, mouth agape, for quite some time. How did she know? By the time I got my senses about me, the people who I assumed lived in this house appeared between the tents. I smiled at them gingerly, and took off to my right, toward the direction of the townhouse.