Unlikely Friends

'Stupid stupid stupid girl!' I internally shout at myself as I pace around the room, slapping the palm of my hand against my forehead. 'One moment of tender affection and you're in your feelings all over again! STUPID GIRL!!'

I sigh, tilting my head back to look up at the ceiling. I hate this life. I want no more part in it. I cannot delve back into my feelings for Marcellus. It would be nothing more than a bad decision.

Going over to my bedroom door, I yank it open and step into the hall. It had been a long while since everyone headed to bed. The only other person in the hall was the hoplite standing guard. Nodding to him, I turn to my left and head towards the throne room, passing through it into the garden. The cool air nearly takes my breath away. Glancing around, I see several hoplites, pacing the inside perimeter of the premises. Squaring my shoulders, I pass them and take the long journey across the palace grounds to the stables. I pause just outside and turn to the trees growing there, picking a skirtful of apples for the horses. 

Pressing my way into the stable, I am startled by a horse beginning to whinny. I try my best to calm it down, patting my hand along the length of its face. 

     "Here, I brought you a snack," I whisper, holding the apple near the horse's mouth. The next thing I know is that I've dropped the apples and strong hands have me pinned against the post separating the horses stables.

     "Who goes there?" The voice behind me thunders.

I struggle against the hands, trying to rip myself away. "I am your princess! Unhand me at once!" I shout, straining against the person behind me. At once, the grip loosens and I wheel around, finding myself face to face with the hoplite captain. "How dare you handle me in such a disgusting manner."

     "I'm sorry, domina. But - why are you even in the stables at such an hour? This is quite far from your chambers."

Instead of answering, I stoop down and collect the apples. When I am upright again, I say, "I wasn't tired and wanted to be around something living that wasn't human."

The hoplite captain steps nearer, peering down at me. Without his phrygian covering his face,  I realize he is quite handsome. "You are one strange creature," he says gruffly, keeping his stance of entirely too close.

I peer back up at him, silently daring him to move first. Something in his gaze changes, softening. He brings his right hand to the side of my face and then pauses. Curling his hand into a fist, he drops it back to his side. "You need to go back inside. It's not safe out here."

     "Why are you out here then?" I question, stepping closer to him, bringing us almost nose to nose. 

A muscle in his jaw feathers as he glares down at me. "The other night, I discovered one of our horses to be missing. Upon further inspection the next morning, it appeared that someone had cut the ties of the bridle and left the gate open. None of our men are missing. Just the horse. Since then, I've been sleeping in the empty stable at the end to keep watch. What good is an army with no horses?"

A surprised look crossed my face. "You've been sleeping out here in the cold?" I glance down at his body, even more surprised at the lack of clothes. "Only a loincloth? Why didn't you request a blanket or a cloak?"

     "Would you have given me one?" He retorts. "The elite aren't known for being so charitable."

I give him a sidelong glance, peering outside the stable. "I would give you anything you asked for, within reason."

     "But not my royal seal? I asked for that ages ago."

I suppress a smile. "I won't say whether I do or do not have it, but perhaps I can find it for you."