Masquerade (M)

Warning: Angst 

//Author's POV//

Later that night, Izuna sat awake in bed, thinking about the earlier events. He couldn't get Tobirama willingly kissing him so gently. It felt to him as if Tobirama was trying to warm up to him, and yet, Izuna couldn't get the idea that Tobirama was only doing it to get on his good side. He didn't want superficial love, especially if it meant that all he would get was pain in return. This caused Izuna to turn over in bed and sigh. His eyes carefully scanned over Tobirama's face which was illuminated by the scented linin candle on the bedside table. Those pieces of pale white hair wisped all over the bedding and on his face, slightly blocking his right eye. 

To Izuna, Tobirama seemed like a perfect guy. Someone who seemed like he had it all, and Izuna wasn't going to lie to himself that he did indeed feel extremely self-conscious being seen next to him. He just knew what people thought of the relationship and how they both never looked compatible. How the maids around the compound would whisper and scowl as they got orders from Tobirama to serve him. Especially when Tobirama would call him by his sir name instead of his first name. Izuna just couldn't understand why people acted like that with him, and it hurt more knowing that it could possibly last forever if he continued to stay with the Senju. 

Suddenly, Izuna was startled when Tobirama began to stir in his sleep. His cold and distant eyes made contact with his which caused the raven to slightly scoot a bit further away. 

"Why are you still awake?" Tobirama said while sounding completely exhausted. Izuna said nothing as he stared at him in the dim light and watched his every movement. Completely oblivious to the fact that he was sending out distressing pheromones. The sent was sour and completely foul energy through it. This caused Tobirama to sit up and stare deep into those onyx eyes, absorbing all the emotions and replacing them with warmth. A warmth that Izuna could feel as he slowly inched closer to Tobirama before lying his head against his firm chest. Tobirama was a bit surprised by him but carefully wrapped his arms around his small frame firmly. Soon, the gentle and soft scent of sandalwood invaded Izuna's scenes. It was the addicting strong scent that he found himself falling in love with. The one that he wanted to bathe in and absorb. 

"Do you love me" 

Silence followed soon after Izuna uttered those words. Words that he wanted to ask for so long, and yet had just found the courage to ask. Though, Izuna slowly began to regret asking as the silence followed behind and continued to loom over the two of them. Bit by bit, Izuna felt that warmth that was swallowing him up moments ago fading. The soothing scent vanished as soon as it appeared and Tobirama pulled away from the embrace leaving Izuna equally as speechless. Though, those cold and calculating eyes never left his until he finally got up and stepped out of the room. 

Izuna sat in the dark feeling completely dumbfounded. Those countless nights Tobirama took care of him and made sure he was ok felt like a distant horrid dream. One that he knew he should not have cherished. He felt like a complete fool thinking that Tobirama would actually love him. It was a forced marriage after all, but Izuna couldn't deny it anymore. He loved Tobirama so deeply and yet the other never actually told him how he felt towards him. If he yearned for the Uchiha's touch and presence. It was all too much for him to grasp each day. 

//Tobirama's POV// 

I sat in silence and stared down at my hands. It was all I could do as I mindlessly tapped a pen against the wood of my desk. Izuna's saddened eyes and conflicting expression came to mind. I myself didn't know the answer to his question, and I couldn't face him knowing that there wasn't more than an ounce of love I had for him. Adoration sure, but love?

Just the idea of it made me sit in my thoughts. I was treating him well, and doing what any other husband would do. Comforting him and making sure that he was well taken care of. So was it not enough for him? Was my love really necessary in this situation? I didn't think he'd actually feel that way about it. Nor did I think it would ever happen. After all, that's what this all was. A marriage running on both clan's backs hoping for reunification and the end to this war. I knew I had to distance myself from this. I wasn't after love after all. Just here for orders and commands to lead the clan in the future after my brother. That was the reality, and one I was willing to stick with if it meant soiling a marriage like this.