Chapter 15

Msi Harisa Velleaga

"LOLA? Lola!" I exclaimed when I saw a familiar back on my way to the pavilion to eat breakfast. Nothing beats breakfast outside the pavilion. Dahan dahan naman siyang lumingon sa akin, she was talking to Mari who was ready to go to school.

Mom didn't let me go to school today so I am basically absent, and I'm staying here in our house until Mui and I's birthday. Maman insisted.

Lola Scarlet smiled at me sweetly. "Msi, dearest." She whispered.

"Here comes the favorite apo! Make way!" Natatawa niyang sabi. "Ciao, Lola." She kissed her cheek.

I held Lola by her soft shoulder as I laughed with her. "You're the baby of the family, Marina. And I love your Ate, your Kuya, and you all equally."

"Mari, paiinitin mo na naman ulo ni Lola." Suway ko, nakanguso. "Where's Mui?"

"Maaga sa office, hindi niya na nga naabutan na dumating si Lola, eh. Magtatampo iyon, for sure." Nakangising sabi ni Mari sa akin.

Natawa naman si Lola nang mahinhin. "I'll stay here 'til your siblings birthday naman, Marina."

Nagulat naman ako. "Really po, Lola?" She nodded. "Dio mio, thank you! Lola, I'm so happy to hear that!"

Mari giggled and gave Lola a kiss on the cheek once again before bidding goodbye. "I better get going, guys. Bye, 'La. I'll see you later po, okay?"

Lola smiled softly. I sat in front of her. "Alright, sweetie. Lola will wait. Please be careful on the way, hija."

"Yes naman, Lola. Bye, love you! Love you din, Ate. Bye bye!" Sabi niya saka nagtatakbong pumunta sa gate.

Kaagad siyang sumakay sa kotse at agad iyong umalis kasama ni kuya Jerome, our family driver, our old Nana's son. Nana was Mui and my babysitter, sadly she passed away when we were sixteen. I was so heartbroken at the time, I almost got sick.  

I faced Lola Scarlet. She sure is old. Very old. She's already in her 70s. She's getting weaker and I don't want to think of anything else. Anything that will break me.

My Lola is fine. She's very strong.

I gave her a smile. "You sure loved calling Mari that way, Lola, huh?" I said then grabbed an available jasmine tea near me.

Natigil siya sa panonood sa nakaalis nang si Mari. Marahan siyang nilingon ako at tinitigan. She sighed. "She was named after a beautiful woman, how could I stop calling her Marina?"

She was pertaining to Maman's mother, Marina Iane Vista-Velleaga.

Tumango na lamang ako, I've heard this story before and I won't ever get tired of hearing it for the rest of my life.

She winced. "Too bad she wasn't able to meet the child she was named after her." She elegantly pursed lips. "I am certain she'll love her, she'll love all of you."

I know.

"Oh, Lola ha. No one's allowed to cry here, okay? Magagalit po talaga ako, I swear." Biro ko habang hinahalo ang tsaa na para sa kanya.

Natawa siya. "Why would I cry, dear?" She tilted her head to the right. Nagtaka ako. "I am still collecting.."

My eyebrows frowned. This is new. Something that Lola never mentioned. "Collecting, what? Lola?"

"Stories, Msi. I am tasked to collect stories."

What?

"Who tasked you po?"