Chapter 14

Msi Harisa Velleaga

"SEVYN LUNARIS Gallardo." She said with full of power.

I tried my best to keep calm and not give any suspicious and judging eye glances when elders look left and right. Professor Gallardo continued to chat with Maman.

For how long I've been in school, I am just realizing this much by now, that I still have a lot to learn.

Tita Clea asked them to take their seats. I can feel Mari's eyes on me, watching and waiting for me to speak a word about this. 

I'm just confused.

The dinner continued as it should, I am in the state of wanting to be blind tonight to avoid Professor Gallardo's eyes. Having eye contact with her seems akward right now.

Not until Mom spoke to me when everyone was done talking. "Oh, by the way. Msi?"

Agad ko siyang nilingon at binigyan nang ngiti, I couldn't let them worry. "Yes, mom?"

"You know, Miss Gallardo naman diba?" Tumango ako. "We're just going to ask you if you could help her construct an application letter—"

"Tita, sigurado na po ako sa desisyon ko. There's no need to keep me within the foundation."

What are they talking about?

I guess I'm spacing out too much, I can't relate to a single thing they're saying.

Mom shook her head. "I insist, hija. Leaving your profession must be heartbreaking to you too."

"My six years of teaching experience and two years in the foundation is enough for me, Tita." She politely answered my mom. "I should just go back to my brother's business and help him out some time."

Nanlaki ang mata ko sa narinig. She's leaving the VIU? Why? What for?

"You're retiring?" Wala sa sariling tanong ko.

They all looked and stared at me.

Professor Gallardo turned her head to me, "I supposed so, oo. I guess, I am."

"Sige, but come at us if you ever change your mind." Maman spoke up. "Msi?" I looked at her. "Ikaw na bahala?"

Of what? "O-Of course, Maman. Si."

"Wonderful!"

The dinner ended beautifully, at least, for the rest of us. I kept on avoiding the gazes from her. I don't know why, it feels so weird.

The elders told us to step out to the backyard in the poolside to give them time to chitchat, or more like chismis time. Aya, Mari, Ruki and Mui went to the pavilion to talk about their studies. Kailangan na talaga gisahin ang dalawang iyon habang maaga pa.

I was left with Leona, Alina and.. unfortunately, Professor Gallardo in the poolside.

The grip on my scarf tightened. It's cold outside, Alina and Leona were nice to the Professor, it was just me who kept on being quiet.

I wanted to go to the pavilion as well, but Alina called my attention. "Hey, Msi? What do you think?"

Napabaling naman agad ako.

Bakit ba kasi hindi ako nakikinig?

"T-Think of what?" I asked, confused.

Natawa naman si Leona. "Msi, kanina ka pa ha. You were spacing out since dinner, what's the matter?"

Mabilis pa sa alas kwatro na iniiling ko ang aking ulo. "Nothing. I'm just tired."

"You could've just said so, Msi. Should I call your brother?" Alina said.