27th October 1949 (pt. 2)

Chapter 8

27th October 1949

"Okay, Edwards, I want to know everything" Jesy told me with inquisitiveness in her voice.

"She will be here for a few days, she needed to recover and her house is not safe" I explained.

Jesy looked at me with concern, " Okay what if Chris comes back or your dad visits?" she asked in a whisper.

"Chris called and said he won't be back until Christmas and my dad... we haven't spoken or seen each other since my wedding" I told her confidently and wanting to end the conversation as soon as possible.

"Ok but what if he does come? Perrie, is too dangerous" Jesy looked at me knowingly and I could see the sadness in her gaze.

"Jade needs help"

"Pez, you know what will happen if he finds her here..."

"Stop it, I don't want to talk about this, we promised we wouldn't talk about it anymore" I said irritated. I hated this discussion, I hated thinking about it and most of all I hated my father.

"Okay, just tell me if it happened again" she said with ill-concealed fear, I hesitated, then shook my head but I knew very well she could read my lie, "Perrie... the truth, please"

I bit my lip and sighed closing my eyes, then nodded, "Yes, but it's not that bad"

"Really? Perrie! Why the hell didn't you tell me?" Jesy raised her voice and I begged her not to be heard.

"Look, I'm fine. Everything's fine. He won't come here and find Jade and he won't know anything. This conversation is over" I declared with intention, hoping she would take the hint and drop the subject.

"Alright. But promise me you'll be careful and call me if you need help"

"I promise" I smiled even though there was sadness in it, then I looked at her and saw her sympathetic look, "And, Jesy, thank you" I said as I reached out to hug her.

"I love you, Pez" she said kissing my hair, "Now let's make something to eat"

With her help about half an hour later dinner was ready, we went back into the living room and were surprised at the scene in front of us, Leigh was having a conversation with Norma who seemed, for the first time, not to hate the whole world and I thought I had gone crazy when I heard her laughing.

When we saw each other Norma went back to her serious face, but I saw her features relaxed, then I looked at Jade and our eyes fixed on each other, I saw her smiling sweetly at me and I wished I could see that beautiful smile forever.

Jesy and I placed the food on the table and we all took our seats, unlike the previous evening the dinner was spent amidst smiles and laughter, I noticed Norma watching me the whole time, especially in my brief interactions with her daughter and I felt panic in my bones when I thought she might have understood or suspected something.

If the woman who already could barely stand me had discovered the true extent of my feelings for her daughter, she would have done anything to tear us apart.

The dinner went on between chats and jokes, mostly thanks to Leigh, but I shut myself away and tried not to be noticed.

Jade looked at me with concern and the are-you-ok-stare but I ignored her attempts at approach and pretended to pay attention to what was going on around me.