Chapter 29 - Lost & Found

Kazuma's POV:

"Why do you have to take care of me, Kazuma-kun!? I'm a grown woman, I can take care of myself!''

''...''

This is the last job I ever wanted. Shiwa-sensei fell ill due to excessive intoxication. The teachers had been taking care of her since the beginning of the day, but as the test of courage began, they handed this task over to the student council.

Since only two persons in the council have finished all of the daily tasks, and one of them is now participating the courage test, this ludicrous and cursed assignment is left to me.

''Kazuma-kun, I'm talking to you! Put that book a-aside and respond to your teacher properly. Hmph!"

''At least let me enjoy the books...''

''Nee nee! Why do I have to stay locked in this stupid room while everyone else is having fun! I want to take the courage test too!''

I closed the book. I can't read anything while this woman keeps yelling like this. ''Neither of us is happy to be here, tch.''

''T-then let me go. Look, I p-promise I'll be back before anyone realizes I'm gone!''

I wonder which of us is adults here?

''You should have thought about this before getting poisoned, sensei.''

''M-mou! How could I resist free alcohol? Itta- my s-stomach hurts...''

''And even if I let you go, you can't walk to the door.'' I let it out a sigh and placed the book on the table. ''Your body's undergoing a strong detoxification, you'll be slammed to the ground without taking two steps, sensei.''

Moonlight seeps through the window, signaling the night has already begun. It must have been some time since the second years' courage test began. And I stuck within four walls with this noisy woman, tch.

''You're just rude like when we first met, Kazuma-kun. Hmpf! I'm sure you never had fun at the cultural festival with that face!''

''...'' I repeat, are you really an adult?

I reach into my pocket. I still have my cigarettes in my pocket, but that too has become a distant dream for now. I'll stay here for a while and hand over the task to someone else. Staying in bed all day really pissed Shiwa-sensei off and now she's trying to channel her anger to everything she sees.

''I'll let you go.''

''Ha!? A-arigatou Kazuma-kun! I wa—...''

''—One condition.'' I rose from my seat and made my way to the door. ''If you manage to reach the door without losing your balance, I'll believe you're okay and let you go.''

"W-Wait, is that all? Heh, I can do it with even my eyes closed.'' Shiwa-sensei straightens up from the bed she's lying on. She doesn't have many clothes on as the teachers took off her snow clothes. A black tank-top and a red skirt.