Thirty-Four

JAMES

"What the hell are you doing? You know this wasn't part of the mission. Besides, it's over. Sam was never a threat, and you bloody knew that!" Noah shouted angrily to Max.

Max grinned as he floated above the campus. Outside the front door, students gathered while newscasters reported their stories. Amid the chaos, Mark made his grand escape, blending into the large crowd in front of the high school.

"I don't give a damn about the mission anymore, Noah. Dad and I have much bigger plans," Max declared with a smirk.

"He's not our father, Max," Noah snapped. Max laughed, soaring higher into the air.

"He's a far better father than Sam ever was. Was it Dad who rescued us from that wretched government laboratory and raised us?" Max looked at me, his eyes glowing crimson under the morning sun.

"No, Sam was too preoccupied with his nephew, James, and his newfound powers to care. Alexander has a plan. A plan to create a new generation of supers. An army. Dad wants to help improve society, empower them, and strengthen them. It's something Sam can never do." My father struggled in the air while Sam and Derek arrived in their cars, rushing towards Noah and me.

"You're wrong. Sam is a good father and would do anything to improve society," Noah yelled. Max didn't care; he held his own opinion of Sam.

"Do you think Sam would spare you after everything you've done, mate?" Max smirked, gesturing towards Sam. "Hey, Dad. Nice to see you."

Sam was furious, witnessing his malicious son transform into a monstrous villain. "You psychopathic son of a bitch. Release my brother," Sam screamed.

"You want to go there, Dad? I'll let him go right now." Max released his telekinetic grip on my father, causing him to plummet. Noah tried to intervene, but Sam swiftly swooped into the air, his powers finally no longer kept secret, and caught his brother without warning. Sam never ceased to amaze me; he had superpowers all along.

"Son of a bloody bitch, Dad. You ruined this family, Sam, but I saw it coming," Max muttered, soaring higher.

"Fight me, Max," I stepped forward. "I know that's what you want. So come and do it already." Max's grin grew wider.

"And the powerless hero steps forward. Unbelievable." Max swooped down to the ground and landed beside me. I stood tall, trying to maintain whatever dignity I had left.

"This will be easy, James. Power is something you lack now. You're..." Max shoved me across the sky, and I landed forcefully on the pavement in the schoolyard. "Weak."

On the sidelines, Sam landed on the ground with my dad. Max lifted Derek into the air, gripping him tightly like a constrictor. Derek struggled, but it was futile. I crawled across the ground, every inch of my body aching from being thrown around, yet I fought through the pain to push myself up.

"Stop," I weakly pleaded, trying to reach out but finding it too difficult because of the agony I was experiencing. Max stood before me. "Alpha, huh? You seem like a worthless bastard to me," Max sneered. Noah clenched his fists, ready to pounce, but he held back, lacking confidence.

"Max, don't do this," I pleaded. Summoning every ounce of strength, I pushed myself onto my knees. Max used his powerful telekinesis to grip me tightly, keeping me locked under an invisible force. Meanwhile, my brother continued to hang in the air.

"This happens to pathetic freaks like you." Max tightened his grip, pinning Derek and me in place and forcing me to look up. Derek whimpered in pain while Sam tended to Matthew in the distance. Max leaned down, hovering in front of me.