Twenty-Three

"Good morning, Superboy," Mia greeted me, her eyes fluttering open and closed as she leaned in for a kiss, but we refrained from doing so in front of Mark. With a hint of excitement, she leaned against my desk, and I couldn't help but smile as I stared into her vibrant blue eyes.

"Morning, Mia," I responded with a faint grin. Mia giggled like an enthusiastic fangirl, trying to compose herself before taking a deep breath.

"Have you chosen a Halloween costume yet? It's just a week and a half away," she asked. Halloween wasn't something I had given much thought to since gaining my powers at a young age. It didn't interest me much.

"I'm not really into Halloween," I admitted.

Mia pursed her lips and found solace leaning on the desk behind me. I swiveled in my chair, observing her exchange with her cousin, and then she turned back to me. "So, are you volunteering at the blood drive?" she inquired eagerly.

"Probably not," I replied.

"That's disappointing," she frowned. "I was hoping to see you there, at least."

We both gazed toward the front of the classroom. Mr. Kinley rushed in, settling himself at Mr. Branden's desk. He would take over most of my classes for the day. Sometimes I wished I had more time in school.

Mr. Kinley looked at me with a scowl, which quickly shifted to a grin. Dressed in a business suit, his blue glistening in the lights above as he clicked his square jaw shut.

Mr. Kinley's brow furrowed, and he stared at me with an anger I'd never seen before. His glare was focused with a sharp squint. His eyes scanned the room, pulling back and forth across the room to Noah, then back to me.

Mr. Kinley's face is broad, his teeth bright and movie star straight, his nose thin, his skin elastic like a newborn and drenched with sweat.

"Noah," Mr. Kinley called from the front. Noah stood up from his desk, removing his headphones. He glanced at me briefly but was cautious in his actions.

"Yes, Mr. Kinley," he muttered. Mr. Kinley crossed his arms, appearing like an angered parent as he lowered his gaze at Noah. Noah leaned back in his seat, nervously tapping his thigh.

Since rumors started circulating about Noah and his connection to superheroes, the teachers and students distanced themselves from him. Despite the speculation, they tied no evidence to those rumors. Like me, he was a teenage superhuman trying to navigate high school life and a powerful secret. Maximus Kinley, the not-so-anonymous teenage supervillain, shared a similar predicament.

"Move a little closer to Mark," Mr. Kinley instructed Noah, pointing to Jameson, one of Mark's jock friends.

Noah groaned, giving me another glance as he reluctantly left his seat and took the vacant stool closer to Max. I felt defeated. After taking Noah's words to heart at the police station, I trusted him but didn't know how to help him. I wasn't even sure if I could.

Mr. Kinley looked at me, tapping his strong fingers against his desk, while Noah and I exchanged glances. "James Knight, since you've been getting too close to Noah, you can sit between Mark and Max. You're welcome," Alexander licked his lips, hiding a slight grin. Son of a...

I took a deep breath, muttering a four-letter word under my breath. Anxiety surged through me like never, but with a subtle exhale and a scowl, I gathered my belongings, rising from my seat and slamming my bag on the desk surrounded by Max, Mark, Nick, and Harrison. My backpack sank into the desk as I grimaced and shrugged at Noah.

∆∆∆

After school, I caught up with Mia in the nurse's office. She smiled, tucking her hair behind her ear, and leaned against the counter, watching me flip through a stack of papers.