Twenty-Seven

Let the in-depth superhero training begin. We had ventured into similar endeavors before, so this wasn't our first attempt. My father left for work early, entrusting Sam and an off-duty Derek with my care. Little did he know it would be a grave mistake. Thankfully, our spacious house with a large backyard provided the perfect setting for our activities without prying eyes. That is unless our neighbors overheard something like a loud gunshot.

Sam proposed living in a quieter neighborhood, away from prying eyes because of my powers. However, he never disclosed the exact reason to my father.

Derek burst through the back door, carrying stacks of ammunition with him. He was mistaken if he believed that would pose a challenge for a super like me. Dressed in his uniform with his gun, badge, and various additional weapons, Derek looked at me with immense pride. Sam was also present, assisting Derek and me with our training.

"Go up," Derek pointed towards the sky.

"What do you mean by 'up'?" I sought clarification, although I already knew what he meant.

Derek scowled. "Go up in the air. Fly up." He pushed me forward into the middle of our spacious and wooded backyard. I had the urge to push him back, but I resisted, standing in our backyard and letting antigravity lift me off the ground. I ascended about twenty-five feet in the air, hovering above our house but not high enough to touch the clouds.

"Alright, let's start with something simple," Derek said, a smile forming.

I rolled my eyes. "What torturous plan do you have this time?" I groaned, crossing my arms.

"Hilarious," Derek deadpanned. He removed his gun from his utility belt and handed it to Sam. Sam cocked it twice and grinned.

Oh boy, here we go.

"I want to test your powers," Sam declared. I was quick to shoot down both of them—pun unintended.

"Are you crazy? You're not shooting at me in the backyard," I glared at Derek. "You're always acting like a big baby whenever something hits me." Besides, it sounded like a terrible idea.

Sam hushed me. "It'll be fun. Besides, you're bulletproof. It shouldn't be a problem if you perform as you did during the robbery the other day," Derek pointed out. I shook my head, displeased. They always say that right before someone gets hurt.

"What's the catch?" I analyzed the situation. They both chuckled.

"You're going to focus on your telekinesis and protect me while Sam shoots at us," Derek said.

I groaned. "If you end up killing Derek or me, I'll haunt you until the day you die," I threatened Sam. Sam and Derek laughed again.

I clenched my hands and closed my eyes, using my telekinesis to lift Derek into the sky with me. Derek floated behind me, suspended in mid-air. I focused on the background noises—my brother tapping his thigh with his fingertips, the rustling breeze, and birds chirping in the woods. Focus. You can do this.

"I'm aiming for your chest," Sam announced. I felt a sense of unease. I'm unsure why because I knew bullets wouldn't harm me. Perhaps Derek's safety concerned me more. I didn't trust myself completely.

I allowed myself to dangle, hands trembling at my sides. "You'll be fine. That's why Derek and I are here with you," Sam assured, looking at Derek. I glanced at him, too, swallowing the anxious lump in my throat. I hoped everything would turn out okay.

"Don't say I didn't warn you," I cautioned. "Go ahead." Derek had received firearms training as part of his police work, but I wasn't sure about Sam.

"I'll do my best." Sam's finger hovered over the trigger. "Any last words?" he joked. I counted down aloud.