Eighteen

"Is this your first date?" pondered my father, leaning against the kitchen door.

"Yes," I replied, perched on a stool at the counter.

"I remember my first date with your mother," my father reminisced, his eyes gleaming with delight. He joined me at the counter, settling on the stool beside me.

"When I was your age, your mother and I would attend parties and engage in all sorts of silly things that young kids do. So, we went out for a meal, and I took her to the fanciest burger joint I could find. Remember Pete's Crimson Burger from your childhood?"

Memories flooded my mind as I recalled my parents taking Derek and me to a cozy burger spot on every birthday and special occasion during our childhood. I sat between Derek and Dad at the bar, reminiscing about our seventh birthday celebration with a store-bought cake, burgers, and fries.

Pete Castillo, an older gentleman, dedicated himself to perfecting his family recipes, and he excelled at it. He and his wife were part of my birthdays until I turned nine.

While laughing at my father's jokes, Pete playfully smeared icing on my little nose. My parents flirted with each other, wearing bashful smiles. It was a memorable birthday, marking a significant turning point—the first year I possessed my powers.

I was just seven years old when my mother passed away. Pete and his wife passed away shortly after, and their son eventually transformed the place into a comic book shop two years later.

"Yeah," I replied. "Did Mom ever write your names on the wall like she said she would before Pete's son renovated it?" My father sighed, adjusting his position on the stool.

"Yeah, but they removed it during the remodeling," he replied.

"Oh." Silence settled between my father and me. There wasn't much more to discuss. My nerves tingled with anticipation for my date while my father's thoughts lingered on my mother. I often wondered how things would be if she were still alive.

My parents were hopeless romantics and remarkable police officers, and I hoped my father would find someone new to make him happy again.

My father grinned. "Be back by midnight." I nodded and made my way to the living room.

"I'm heading out," I informed Derek as I playfully tapped his foot. He was snuggled up on the couch with a blanket and a scrambled egg burrito.

"Are you off on your date?" he asked.

"Yeah," I replied. I thought so.

Derek gave me a warm smile. "Sam mentioned you were planning to tell her about your secret." His voice grew quieter as Dad entered the room.

"I will," I smiled and walked away, exhaling deeply.

"When are you going to tell Dad?" he pressed.

I halted momentarily, providing the same "I don't know" response I always gave, and then walked out the front door.

∆∆∆

"So," Mia's lips pressed together.

"So," I attempted to mimic her expression. Mia and I stood near the Ferris wheel, her face beaming as she devoured the last remnants of our cotton candy.

I had made up my mind. There was no turning back. "Mia, I want to show you something," I said with a smile, intoxicated by her radiant grin. Her eyes, bright and sparkling under the moonlight, met mine.

"What is it?" she inquired. I clasped her hands firmly, engrossed in the love and trust shared in our gaze.

"Do you trust me?"