Chapter 6- Maidenhood

The days that follow after witnessing the scene between Aldrin and Keana are a hazy blur, each one blending into the next as I try desperately to forget what I saw. Meanwhile, preparations for my wedding are well underway, and the castle is a whirlwind of activity with servants scurrying about and endless decorations being arranged. Amidst the chaos, Rowan and I barely exchange a word.

Eventually, my mother insists on choosing a wedding gown for me, and I settle on a stunning shade of jade green. The dress was decorated with delicate gems and diamonds, intricately woven into the voluminous skirt, and it featured a sweetheart neckline that accentuated my figure. It was a breathtaking ensemble, but I couldn't help but feel detached from the whole process.

Amidst wedding rehearsals, cake tastings, and dance practices, I found myself spending far more time with Kieran than I desired. We seemed to clash at every turn. Disagreements arose over the smallest of details, and our arguments became more frequent and intense. I was drinking more liquor than normal, trying to forget this whole ordeal or at least remain numb until it was over.

The stress of wedding preparations pushes me to my breaking point. In a moment of frustration, I snap at Kieran, telling him to do as he pleases, before storming out of the castle away from him. I wish he would just go back to war and die already.

My legs carried me swiftly to the barns. The stable boys hastily saddle up Zevlyn as if sensing my need to run away. With a swift motion, I mount the horse, and we gallop away from the suffocating confines of the castle, towards the sanctuary of my hidden cave.

Upon arriving at the cave, the tranquility enveloped me like a comforting embrace. However, my solitude was interrupted by the sound of someone else entering. "Hello?" I call out hesitantly into the dark tunnel.

"It's just me, Princeza," Came Rowan's familiar voice, washing away my anxiety. A wave of relief washed over me as I realizd my secret place would remain safe from Kieran's prying eyes. This cave is the only refuge I had from the chaos and demands of my daily life. I won't let Kieran take that from me as well.

I sat on the edge of a crystalline blue pool, my feet gently dipping into the cool water. He wasted no time in removing his boots and joining me. We sat side by side, the soft glow of the cave's natural illumination casting ethereal shadows on our faces, like we have so many times before.

Finally, breaking the quiet, I spoke softly, my voice filled with sincerity. "I am sorry for how I treated you the other night."

He shook his head, dismissing my apology. "It's alright, Princeza. You were intoxicated and not yourself. I understand."

"But it wasn't fair to you," I insist, my voice tinged with remorse. "To ask something like that of you, I was wrong... I regret it."

He gazes at me intently, his eyes filled with understanding and forgiveness. Slowly, he leans forward, his lips gently brushing against mine in a tender kiss. My heart flutters in response, my mind reeling with a mix of emotions.

"You know," he whisper, his voice barely audible, "I did want you. The way you kissed me that night, so intensely... I've never desired anyone as deeply as I desired you in that moment."

Confusion washes over me as I remember his rejection. "Then why did you turn me away?" I ask, my voice filled with confusion.

He sighes, his gaze never leaving mine. "You were intoxicated. You were not in your right state of mind, and I was afraid we would be caught. Not only would your reputation be ruined, but I would be executed."