Chapter 8- The Royal Announcement

The final festivities of the night start to fade away, and Kieran's drunken haze reaches its peak. He staggers towards my bedchamber, his eyes shimmering with an unsettling mix of desire and assumptive ownership. A wave of dread washes over me, and my pulse races with terror at the ordeal that is waiting for me behind those wooden doors.

Summoning every bit of my courage, I trail behind him into the shadowy confines of the room, determined to uphold my dignity. He clumsily wrestles with his clothes, and the stirrings of panic begin to claw at my mind, the thought of what is to come is terrifying, but I know I have to fulfill my marital duties. Amid this inevitable horror, I cling to the comforting memory of the one intimate night Rowan and I had shared in the seclusion of our cave before this horrid moment. That's where my mind would be tonight.

Even in his intoxicated state, Kieran is disturbingly quick in discarding my intricately laced corsets and elegant wedding gown. I would rather not go into details on what happened next but let's just say it was unpleasant and repulsive, at least for me and I'm glad it was over rather quickly.

My new husband's snores fill the room and I slip out from under the weight of his naked body. My body trembles with relief, and I quickly gather my torn garments, their delicate fabrics now tarnished by the events of the night. The room, surrounded by shadows, seems to close in on me, urging me to escape its suffocating darkness.

Stepping lightly, I tiptoe towards the door, my heart pounding in my chest. Every creak of the floorboards threatens to expose my exit, and I pray for silence as I make my way through the dimly lit passageway. The castle, normally alive with festivity is now silent, save for the distant echoes and the flickering torches that cast eerie shadows on the stone walls. A sad thought came to me. This would be my last night here.

I emerge from the darkness, and a figure materializes from the shadows, his armor gleaming softly in the torchlight. My heart leaps with a mix of relief and comfort as I recognize Rowan, his eyes widening with concern as he takes in my disorderly appearance and tear-stained cheeks.

"Kyla," he says, his voice carrying both concern and anguish, "What happened to you?"

I swallow hard, my voice barely above a whisper. "We did what we had to do to consummate the marriage. I didn't enjoy it, and I never want to experience it again. But Kieran will be leaving for war with Redbury soon, and I shouldn't have to endure it again anytime soon. Hopefully not ever. My duty is done."

Rowan's eyes fill with regret. "I'm sorry... I could kill him for touching you. I never wanted any of this for you. I know my place as a knight, and yours as a princess. I can bear the pain of seeing you married, even being in the arms of another man, but not if that man is as harsh as your husband."

His concern touches my heart, and I feel compelled to reassure him, to let him know that I will be okay. "I'm shaken, but physically unharmed. I mentally prepared myself for the ordeal. The only thing that got me through it was thinking of our time together in the cave. You were so gentle, and I'm grateful that my first time was with you."

The sincerity in his eyes mirrors my feelings, and for a brief moment, we stare at each other, the weight of unspoken words hanging in the air. But the risk of being seen is too great, even in the shadows, and I reluctantly make my way back to my chambers, seeking sleep as far away from my new husband as possible.

A couple of days later, Kieran departs for war with Redbury leaving me behind at Everbay with unease and tension within the strange castle walls. The absence of his overbearing presence brings me relief. I am glad to see him go and hope he would stay gone, far the fuck away from me. Hopefully forever.