Chapter 27- Opaline Den

Caspian slows the horse's pace as we approach the village, choosing to navigate away from the main trails. He keeps us close to the woods and the quiet alleys of the village.

Eventually, Caspian brings the horse to a stop and gracefully dismounts. He kindly helps me down, and we secure the horse to a post outside a small stone building.

Curiosity overtakes me as Caspian leads me inside, but what I witness shocks me. In this room, men and women openly engage in intimate acts, even Astralites among them. I can't help but question the legality of it all. The air is heavy with a mixture of scents - desire, sweat, and sex - causing me to instinctively shield my eyes with my hand.

"Caspian, have you brought me to a whorehouse?" I ask, my voice filled with disbelief. He chuckles, and for the first time, I realize how pleasant his laugh sounds.

"No, this is just part of the adventure," he assures me, taking my hand and guiding me through the establishment. I hold onto his arm tightly, trying to navigate without uncovering my eyes.

"Okay, you can open your eyes now," he says, leading me down a dimly lit staircase and through a small tunnel into another room. I notice he maintains his grip on my hand throughout.

"Your Grace," a Centaur greets Caspian respectfully. "A private room?"

"That would be perfect, Fresc," Caspian responds, and the Centaur leads us through another tunnel, unlocking a large wooden door with his keys.

"Everything you need is inside, Your Grace," he says before departing.

Caspian and I step into the room together. He effortlessly lights the candles with a flick of his wrist, using his elemental magic. Finally, he releases my hand and closes the door behind us. He removes his cloak and casually places it on the comfortable couch adorned with pillows and blankets. Panic surges through my body as I realize why he must have brought me here.

"Just because I fucked your sister once doesn't mean I have any intentions with you. I won't be treated as some kind of royal whore for the Frostbane twins," I say firmly, keeping my distance near the entrance.

Caspian's eyes widen in surprise. "When did you fuck my sister?"

I bite my lip, realizing he wasn't aware of the truth. "It doesn't matter now."

We hold each other's gaze for a moment, and Caspian offers me a warm smile. "Do you really think I brought you here because of that? A royal whore?"

"That's how it seems," I admit, glancing at the couch that resembles more of a bed.

"You really think that low of me?" He asks and I can hear the genuine hurt in his voice.

I think about his reputation with whores and how I even walked in on him once and decide not to say anything, looking down at the floor instead.

"This place, Kyla, is what we call the Opaline Den. It's where we come to unwind, smoke, and let loose. But let me make it clear, I have no intention of making you any kind of whore," he explains, picking up a pipe and a bag of finely ground red herbs.

"Oh," I respond, feeling a sudden wave of embarrassment as I remove my cloak and take a seat beside him.

"So, you slept with my sister?" he asks, trying to suppress a laugh while running a hand through his curly white hair.

"Just once. I was so intoxicated that I can hardly recall it," I confess, observing as he loads the red herbs into the pipe. He ignites it with his finger and takes a deep inhale, exhaling a thick cloud of smoke.

"I can't believe she never mentioned that," he remarks, passing me the pipe and using his finger to light it for me.

"Does she inform you about all her sexual encounters?" I inquire, blowing out a cloud of smoke and sinking into the plush couch next to Caspian, instantly feeling my body relax.

"No, but... never mind," he responds, taking another hit and using the small flame at the tip of his finger to ignite the pipe again. He does the same for me, and I take another long drag, feeling a wave of relaxation and numbness wash over my mind and body.

"That's fascinating. I wonder why Celestia doesn't do it like that. She always uses matches," I marvel, watching the flame on his fingertip vanish.

"She's not fond of using her magic," he says awkwardly. "By the way, I have a new memory of you." He changes the subject.

"What do you mean by a new memory?" I sit up, intrigued, and lock eyes with him as he remains slouched on the couch.

"When Celestia was pregnant, and you arrived to take her back to our time. I remember that," he reveals.

"I had no idea that would happen," I admit.

"Do you know what it looks like when you travel?" he asks.

"No, just how it feels," I reply.

"It's truly beautiful," he says, catching me off guard. "Your body lifts off the ground, surrounded by a magical swirl in various colors. Then your eyes turn white, and you slowly fade away, like a ghost, leaving traces of lingering magic behind."

"I had no knowledge of that..." I confess genuinely.

"I've witnessed it twice now, and I believe it's the most awe-inspiring sight I've ever seen," he shares.

A fleeting exchange of smiles passes between us.

"By the way, who is Rowan?" he inquires, and a sudden pang of anguish grips my heart.

"If you knew, you might pass judgment," I admit timidly.

"With a sister like Celestia? I doubt it," he reassures me with a gentle smile.

"He was my lover and the father of my daughter. Sadly, my husband took his life before taking our daughter's," I disclose, finally releasing the truth that has burdened me.

"I'm truly sorry for the hardships you've endured," he offers sincerely, and a solemn silence envelops us in its embrace.

I surrender to the comfort of the couch, allowing the Opaline to permeate my senses completely. Almost unknowingly, my head finds solace upon Caspian's shoulder, and together we succumb to a peaceful slumber within the embrace of the Opaline Den.