Chapter 1: ICU

Chapter 1: ICU

Rad's eyes blurred from crying so much. He takes out his phone shaking from the fear of losing his only nephew and calls his brother. "Bandit," Rad said, choking on his words. "Thomas has been shot, we're at the hospital," Rad said with tears running down his muzzle. "I don't know they're not telling me anything," Rad said, moving his knee up and down. "Just get here!" Rad said, hanging up the phone. Rad continues to cry looking himself down and blaming himself even though Thomas jumped in front of the bullet to save him. "Sir, are you hurt?" A nurse asked Rad. Rad looked up at the nurse and then shook his head. "No, I'm fine, it's not my blood," Rad answered. "Are you the boy's father?" Asked the nurse. "No, his father is on his way," Rad answered. "Okay, can I ask how you are related to this boy?" The nurse asked. Rad swallowed hard. "He's my nephew," Rad answered. "Okay, we'll keep you updated on him," the nurse said with a nod. "Thank you," Rad said as the nurse left.

Not long later Bandit and his family storm into the waiting room. "Where's my son!" Bandit shouted in anger. "They're still working on him," Rad said standing up. "What did you do!" Bandit shouted as he grabbed his older brother. "Bandit, he jumped in front of the bullet saving me," Rad said weakly. "How could you!" Bandit shouted with tears in his eyes. "That's my boy! That's my baby boy!" Bandit shouted as fresh tears started to flow down Rad's muzzle. "Bandit," Chilli said, placing her hand on her husband's shoulder. "I'm sorry Bandit," Rad said as Chilli made Bandit sit down with her and the kids. Rad then sat down away from his brother. "Mum? Is Thomas going to be okay," Bluey asked with a sniff from crying. Chilli looked down at her daughter and held her and Bingo. "I don't know sweetheart but I hope so," Chilli said, hugging her daughters. Bandit continued to cry into his hands silently as Rad started to make phone calls to Stripe and his parents.

Within the hour Stripe showed up at the hospital rushing into the waiting room. "What happened? How's Thomas doing?" Stripe asked concerned for his nephew. "Ask him!" Bandit shouted, pointing at Rad. Stripe then looked at his oldest brother, "Rad? What happened mate?" Stripe asked, sitting next to his brother. "There was a robbery in progress at the store we went to and the robber was about to shoot me and Thomas jumped in front of me and then here we are," Rad explained, feeling the guilt. "Mum and Dad are on their way now," Stripe said, placing his hand on his brother's shoulder. Bluey and Bingo lightly cried in their mothers arms after hearing about what happened to their brother. "If my son dies I'll never forgive you," Bandit said darkly to Rad. "Bandit please," Chilli said, holding their daughters closer. "I'm... I'm sorry Chilli," Bandit said looking at his wife. "Daddy, I don't want Thomas to die," Bingo said with tears in her eyes.

"He... he won't die mate," Bandit said softly. "How do you know?" Bluey asked, looking at her father. "I... I don't... but he's a Heeler, he'll fight it," Bandit said, trying not to scare his daughters. The doctor then came out to see the family. "Are you the boy's parents?" The doctor asked, looking at Bandit and Chilli. "Yes we are," Bandit said standing up. "How's my son?" Bandit asked worriedly. "He's stable now and in a coma state for the moment," the doctor explained. "Will he wake up?" Chilli asked. "It's hard to say right now but you can go see him now," The doctor said now leading the way. Bandit and his family followed the doctor to Thomas's room. Once they found him he was wearing an oxygen mask with a Machine helping him breath. "Mum, what's that thing doing to Thomas?" Bingo asked as Chilli picked her up. "It's to help him breathe sweetie," Chilli answered. "Does it hurt him?" Bluey asked while holding Chilli's hand. "No honey, it doesn't hurt him," Chilli explained. Bandit couldn't believe the sight of his son on a Machine to help him breathe.  Bandit then walked over to his son and held his hand. "I'm right here," Bandit said with tears coming down his muzzle. "Let's give your dad some space," Chilli said, taking Bluey and Bingo back to the waiting room.