Chapter 13: Hurt My Feelings

(Flashback)

Seventeen year old Brandy had thrown a glass cup against the wall with tears drown her face. "Brandy!" Mort shouted in anger. "How could you! How could you replace mum!" Brandy shouted in anger. "I am not replacing your mum! You know Dawn is just a friend," Mort said with a stern tone. "Then why was she here with you, alone, when we were at school?!" Brandy shouted back. She glared at her father. "You still have lipstick on your cheek." Brandy said, looking at his neck. "Brandy…" Mort said trying to calm. "No dad! How could you!" Brandy said before running to her room in tears.

Chilli looked at her father, still sitting at the table. "Dad, are you in love with Dawn?"  "Chilli I… she's just a friend sweetheart," Mort said embarrassed. "I think she's really nice," Chilli added. "You do?" He asked, surprised. "Yeah! And she's very pretty," Chilli added as she wagged her tail. "Is Brandy going to be okay dad?" Chilli asked worried about her sister. "I'm going to talk to her." Mort sighed as he looked down the hall toward where she'd stormed off. Mort then walked to his oldest daughter's room and knocked on the door.

"Stay out!" Brandy yelled.

"Brandy please talk to me," Mort said through the door.

"Why? So you can just replace me like you have mum?" Brandy said with tears.

Mort lowered his ears and just opened the door to his daughter's room. "Brandy… please let me talk to you," Mort said as he walked towards her. She looked over her shoulder at him. "Fine." Mort then placed his hand on his daughters shoulder. "So, what? You plan on telling me about Dawn, or just going to deny it?" Brandy asked. "Brandy, I loved your mother very very much, no one would ever replace her," Mort explained.

"But?" She asked

"We should move on, your mum would want that;" Mort explained. "Yeah, and I guess she'd be thrilled to know it only took two years for you to find someone to replace her." Brandy added. "Honey," Mort said as he hugged her. "Honey, nothing." Brandy tried to wriggle away. Mort kept her close him until she gave up and hugged him back. "I just miss her so much," Brandy said crying."I know you do, I do too." Mort replied as he held her. "We all do." He added. Chili was in the doorway listening as she looked down to the ground she then walked away and went to her room.

(End of flashback)

Brandy was sitting in her car in the middle of traffic trying to get home. She wiped her tears thinking about she had with her sister at last nights dinner and how it hurt. "Come on mate!" Brandy shouted as she beeped the horn. The other driver lifted a hand and flipped her off without so much as turning around.

"Oh, real mature!" She shouted.

She groaned as the light turned green and she was able to go home. She meandered down the street and eventually pulled into her driveway. She got out and looked at the familiar scenery, it was a pleasant view, but she couldn't really enjoy it. She shook her head and walked to the door, before unlocking it and heading inside.

Meanwhile Chilli was out on the veranda drinking some coffee. She mulled over the cup and sighed. She didn't know what to think. She was frustrated, that much she was sure of. "Mom, are you okay?" Thomas asked coming out to sit with her. "I'm not sure." Chilli sighed. Thomas sat with her. "Is it because of what happened at dinner?" Thomas guessed. Chilli nodded with a hurtful sigh. "Want to talk about it?" Thomas asked. Chilli teared up "I yelled at her," Chilli said crying.

"Yes, that's true. But she did start the yelling." Thomas pointed out. "I know, I just wanted us to have a nice family dinner," Chili said, wiping her tears. "I know mom." He sighed. Thomas then hugged her. "Why does it always turn out like this? Why can't we just get along?" Chilli said, tears forming at the corners of her eyes. "Maybe you're both hurting?" Thomas said. "I suppose, but there must be a better way for us to handle it." Chilli said, looking down. "Why is she so mad at you mom?" Thomas asked, wanting to know more about his aunt.