Chapter 3: Recovery Road

Three weeks later...

Thomas steps out of his fathers car still feeling sore from being shot just three weeks ago. "Here mate I can help," Bandit said, getting out of the car and helping his son. "It's okay dad I think I got it," Thomas said looking at his father. But Bandit insisted on helping his son into the house. "I'll carry you if I have to," Bandit pleaded. "Dad!" Thomas protested. "I just don't want you to hurt yourself mate," Bandit said, now letting his son walk up the steps of the house. "If I need you I'll ask," Thomas said, putting his hand on the rail. "The doc said you might need physical therapy after the hospital," Bandit pointed out. "Dad, we'll do that if I need it," Thomas said, now trying to get up the steps. Thomas tried putting one foot in front of the other and lifted himself up onto the steps. Thomas made a face for how much pain he was in but didn't want to show weakness.

Thomas then slipped on his footing and fell backwards. "Going down!" Thomas shouted, trying to grab the railing. Bandit quickly jumped at his son and caught him before he could fall. "That was close... thanks dad," Thomas said as Bandit helped his son back on the steps. "Now, can I carry you?" Bandit asked in a concerned tone. "Alright, but just to the porch I want to walk into the house," Thomas said. "Deal," Bandit said as he carried his son up the steps and placed him down on the porch. "Much better," Thomas said, now looking out to the yard. "Hey, isn't that Uncle Stripes car and aunt Friskys car too?" Thomas asked, looking down the street seeing their cars. "Um... no," Bandit said with a nervous chuckle. "And we didn't get a fourth car," Thomas said, also now noticing the car next to the driveway. "Um well.... Maybe we did," Bandit said again with a nervous chuckle. "Dad, the only cars we have are yours, mine and moms," Thomas said as he walked into his house.

Once Thomas opened the door, he was welcomed by his family with "Welcome home!" Everyone shouted. "Aww, thanks everyone," Thomas said, leaning against the door for Leverage. "Here mate, have a seat," Uncle Stripe said, moving over to let his nephew sit. "Thanks uncle Stripe," Thomas said as he sat down. "Mate the reason that extra car is here..." Bandit started to explain but then someone beat him to it. "Thomas honey!" Willow said coming down the stairs. "Grandma?" Thomas said confused as the old husky walked over to him. Stripe then got off the couch to let Willow sit next to her grandson. Willow then hugged her grandson with tears in her eyes. "Grandma, it's okay, I'm okay," Thomas said, hugging his grandmother. "Your grandfather and I were so worried," Willow said, kissing Thomas on his head.

"Is Grandpa here too?" Thomas asked. "All the grandparents are here mate," Bandit spoke. "Even your Granddad Mort," Chilli added as she stood next to her husband. "Really?" Thomas asked about ready to cry. "Yes, everyone else is upstairs," Willow said softly. "Okay I'll go upstairs where everyone else is," Thomas as he sorely got up from the couch. Thomas then made his way over to the stairs and then looked up. Thomas wanted to show he was still him and could still do the everyday things he used to do. "Um... dad?" Thomas asked waving him to come over to him. Bandit walked over to his son who then whispered to him. "I need help," Thomas said in defeat. "It's okay mate just one day at a time," Bandit said as she helped his son walk up the stairs. There were more tears in Willow's eyes as she saw her grandson struggle. After Bandit helped his son into the main living room upstairs and sat him down on the upstairs couch.

Richard, Bob and Mort were talking out on the pad until they saw Thomas sit down on the couch. "There's the dog of the hour," Richard said walking the house with the two other grandfathers. "Hey mate, how are you doing?" Bob and Mort both said while coming into the house. "I'm good, sore but good," Thomas said with a smile. Richard sat down next to his grandson and lightly hugged him. "Hey son, you scared me and your grandmother," Richard said while hugging his grandson. "I know and I'm sorry but uncle Rad..." Thomas started to say but Richard cut him off.