IV: Tears On My Pillow

The fire can't touch me,

for I have burned one too many

times

& the sea can't harm me,

for I've been drowning all my life.

oh but you could rip my heart open,

darling,

for I have never known love before.

"Katherine my darling, it is always good to see your face

"Katherine my darling, it is always good to see your face."

Nancy is the only friend she has in her life.

A petite woman clad in denim, black hair tethered upwards as it matches the grease on her palms.

She is radiant in every which way.

"Glad to see my face or my money?" She tosses the duffle bag into her arms, watching her catch it with a grin.

" What kind of person do you take me for?" They both express solidarity in jokes, easier than talking of the past, or worse... The future.

"The human kind." Patting her on the shoulder, they walk up the nimble steps of the charter plane.

The same way she does... Year after year.

"Plane's looking good."

"Do you ever doubt me?" Winking to her tense body, the pilot brushes past in the narrow walkway. Sitting in one of the two leather chairs.

"Al-Mazrah huh?" She stares out the large window instead of her curious companion, hearing the switches being moved in rhythm.

" It's confidential." The woman hacks out a laugh.

" Confidential my ass. If it were so top secret, you wouldn't have hired me, which hurts now that I think about it."

Brown eyes roll themselves, strapping in when the plane begins to hum in awakening. The floor vibrating beneath her boots.

" This is about ghost face isn't it?" She goes to dispute but finds her mouth parted with nothing but air escaping. "Fucking knew it. Could see it the moment you walked in."

She grips the handles when she speaks, looking to Katherine like a bloodhound to a rabbit as they begin to roll forward out of the warehouse.

"He asked for my help. That's it."

Nancy is the closest thing she has to a high school experience.

Instead of gossiping sleepovers, there were cardboard boxes being slept in.