Chapter 5

I woke up with a smile on my face. The memories of last night came flooding through me. My face became hot as I looked out the window. The sun was rising creating the most beautiful sunrise I've seen in a while.

Getting up I washed my face and brushed out my hair. I was so giddy today and it clearly showed. I wasn't sure when I would see him next but I hoped it was soon.

I put on a black shirt and overalls, pulling up my combat boots. Riley followed me out of my room. I fed her outside and went to do my morning chores. I hummed a happy tune while listening to the birds call out to each other. My chickens clucked to one another as I fed them and my sheep hopped around once I brought out their hay.

Walking into my garden something in the small planter box caught my eye. As I approached it I noticed three small flower buds beginning to make their way out of the ground. I practically squealed in joy. I jumped up and down a little, catching Riley's attention. She ran over to me and cocked her head at the sight of me dancing happily to flower buds. It wasn't much but it was a start and a start I haven't had since I was little.

I watered the flowers very carefully to make sure I didn't harm the buds. Once I finished with that I walked around and watered everything else. My spring vegetables had begun to grow now and some were growing faster than last year. I was a little confused but grateful either way.

Once I was done with feeding and watering I happily hummed my way to the garage. I was finally going to clean off the deck. I haven't done that since before winter and it was in dire need of it. I entered my garage practically tripping over rusty tools and such. My dad had made himself a work area that spanned the entire walls of the garage. Tool boxes sat on the polished wood counters. Tools hung on rusty hooks. Cleaning materials sat in a cupboard in the back.

I headed to the back but as I walked through I tripped over a pile of bolts that spilled on the ground. I fell forward and once I hit the ground I felt my arm begin to burn. When I looked down I saw a saw blade with blood in the serrated tips. When I looked over at my arm a huge open gash began to gush blood. It hurt like a motherfucker and I quickly got up, trying not to slip on the bolts again.

The pain had increased now as I took a closer look at it. Tears welled in my eyes but I refused to cry. The gash was deep, deeper than I'd like it to be. When I pulled the skin apart a little to see how deep I sucked in a sharp painful breath. The cut was deeper than I thought and would definitely need stitches.

Blood had begun to run quickly down my arm and onto the floor. As I walked towards the house for my truck keys and a cloth the droplets of blood followed. I tried to cup my hand over the wound in order for it not to bleed on my floors but failed miserably. The blood was gushing out too quickly and it just made my hand all bloody.

Once inside I ran for a towel, not caring if it got blood soaked. "I can make a new one." I thought. I wrapped a green and white towel around my arm. Riley ran inside looking over me and started to whine. "Stay here Riley, ok. Look out for danger." I yelled as I ran out of the house holding my truck keys.

I turned on the truck and, only using one hand, sped off to town. I was used to driving with one hand so it wasn't too hard but trying to keep the towel on it was. The pain increased with each turn or bump. I hissed in pain when I hit a small pothole causing my injured arm to jolt.

Once in town I parked the truck, very crooked, and got out in a rush. People walked the streets but not as many as yesterday. I ran up the sidewalk to the local doctor. My arm now a crimson color of red. I practically bursted inside. The lady at the front was an old friend of mine. We had grown up together and when my parents left she would come over and act as a sister so I wouldn't get lonely.