Chapter 14

For the next two weeks I heard nothing from Caesar. I was alone day in and day out. His hoodie that he left here had lost his smell and his side of the bed was now cold and lonely. I had forgotten the feeling of his touch and his voice. The worst part was my flowers. They had just begun to bloom but now no matter what I did they were wilting. I tried everything but they were beginning to die.

Most days I would spend in the garden either reading or tending to the garden. I didn't want to go back into the lonely house. When I went to the market I would get questions about Caesar. "Where is he, when is he coming back?" Even Bill asked questions. The worst part was I think everyone I knew well had become accustomed to Caesar.

I sat in the garden like normal. The sun was hot above and birds flew around. Some landed in the fountain while others sat on trees singing their sweet songs. It had been two and a half weeks since Caesar left. Riley was off chasing butterflies and I was reading a book.

"Fuckkkk" I groaned out. The book was too boring to keep my attention. I got up and decided to take a walk around the property. As I headed out the back gate I looked over my flowers. They were basically dead now. Petals from some of the already grown flowers now lay crumpled on the dirt.

I turned my head and tried to forget the flowers and my excitement for them when they were starting to bloom. As I walked out of the gate my fingers went up to the flower necklace Caesar had given me. I hadn't taken it off since he left.

I found Riley in the pasture with the animals. She was chasing around some chickens, her tail wagging with excitement. "Riley!" I called out. A smile creeped on my lips when she shot her head up.

She ran up to me and raced around my legs. Her tongue out and dripped slightly with drool. "Walk! You wanna go for a walk!" My voice in that high pitched voice everyone used with dogs.

We started off through the gate and onto the road. I headed toward the direction of town, walking through some random field that was alongside the road. Riley jumped through the wheat stalks trying to see her way through. Her happiness made me happy. I smiled and laughed as Riley ran into a small bush. When she emerged on the other side leaves hung loosely on her coat which she shook off.

The walk lasted for another twenty minutes until I saw town in the distance. I debated on going to town but decided against it seeing as I had already gone in the other day. I turned around and walked along the other side of the road, where the woods were.

As I walked back home the sound of birds echoed through the woods along with the rustle of trees. As I looked in the woods deer could be seen in the distance, some more hidden than others. Riley hadn't seen the deer so I walked faster away from them.

Once I had gotten back home I had forgotten about how lonely and just depressed I was. I walked inside and decided to have a fun night. I put on a record and turned the volume up. The music had been left over from my parents but seeing as they had good taste in music I kept all the records.

I danced around the living room with Riley. I was having the time of my life. I needed this after two weeks of just nothing. I forgot about the dying flowers, my loneliness, and the urge to be with Caesar. Of course I couldn't wait for him to get back but in this moment I focused on me.

I continued dancing through the evening. When I finally grew hungry enough I danced while making myself and Riley dinner. Then I danced while eating dinner. By the end of the evening I became so tired of dancing. I changed the music to something more slow and soothing.

Riley laid on top of me as I laid on the couch. Her head resting on my shoulder. The music turned down but still loud. I hummed to the melody and I played with Riley's ears. When the melody grew slower I closed my eyes and just followed the music.

I had eventually fallen asleep to the music. The sound of a classical symphony being the last thing I heard.