changing

chapter 2

present day (na'teya pov)

if i told 6 year old me everything that has happened to me the last few years she would laugh in my face and call me a lying skxawng (idiot).

i woke up this morning with the sun rays beaming onto my face, i must've slept in cause nobody was in my family tent. i got up replacing my loose orange and yellow feather top with a tight green leaf top, i normally wear it for hunting so it doesn't move around as much.

i pick up my bow and throw it over my shoulder before leaving the tent and calling for zuri. i climbed onto her back and made the bond before i flew through the clouds, over the forest going further then i usually would, i needed to clear my mind. the sky people were getting closer to our clan and i was getting scared for my family's safety. although we were not at war yet, the olo'eyktan and tsahìk warned us that we should be prepared for when the war comes to us.

i landed on a tree near an old shack, as i was about to climb down the tree, i hear voices underneath me, i look down and see 3 kids walking towards the shack, two of them look around my age and the other one looks around 6 or 7.

i was confused. what they doing in the middle of the forest especially with a child so young.

i watch as they crouch down behind at log, staring over at the old shack, i advert my gaze to where they are looking, i stumble back a little, hiding behind the tree leaves when i see what they were looking at. sky people.

i see the na'vi children begin turning back towards where they came from.

"it's almost eclipse, come on" i hear the younger girl whisper-yell at the older two na'vi. then out of nowhere an avatar in full camo gear jumps out of the bushes and grabs the younger child, the two other children are quick to raise their weapons and begin hissing at the avatars.

"put it down or i will shoot you!" one of the avatars yells, pointing his gun directly at the boy standing there. soon all the avatars had their guns pointed towards the children giving them no choice but to drop their weapons.

the avatars waste no time to grab and pin the children down, holding them by their braids. a very sensitive part of our bodies and it can be painful if grabbed.

i was to busy watching what was happening beneath me to be aware of my surroundings, soon a sharp blade comes into contact with my neck as i get dragged down the tree.

i was pulled into the group with the other children, the youngest girl was crying which made the na'vi grab her braid tighter. poor girl is probably terrified right now.

"sir we've got a half breed" i look over and see the older girl with an extra finger, how is that possible?

i had never heard of a na'vi having an extra finger, "show me your fingers" the man snarled walking over the the older boy. the boy raised his hands showing off his middle finger and thumb.

"you his aren't you"

who's?? there was something extremely off about this interaction, how did this man know so much about these children? whatever it was, i played no part in it so why was i here.

it was silent for the rest of the time, the young girls sobbing quieted down when she realised crying wasn't going to save her. it began raining which was unusual at this time, it was dry season, it rarely rained during dry season.

the only two times it rained was when we were running out of water, which we were not. or eywa was trying to tell us something.

i was getting cold and uncomfortable, i love playing in the rain but after sitting in it for what felt like hours, it got a bit uncomfortable.

i started thinking about my family and if i would ever get out of this situation, was i going to die?

i guess it was obvious i was scared because when i locked eyes with the older boy, he gave me a reassuring nod, and mouthed the words 'mawey (calm)' to me. not long after that i heard a call from in the woods, i was not common with the call or the call was from but i knew it was coming to save us.

out of nowhere an arrow goes straight through one of the avatars head who was holding onto older girl.

she began running as soon as she was freed.i watched as the avatars around us were quickly going down one by one, then the boy next to me pulls something on the avatars vest releasing smoke.

that was my queue to escape, i bit onto the avatars arm that was holding onto me, they let out a yelp releasing me from their grip. once they let go i ran so far into the forest without looking back. i should've stayed back and thanked the family for saving me but i believed i would've been recaptured if i followed them.

once i believed i had ran away far enough that none of the avatars would've followed me i call for zuri. she emerged from the trees above me, i make the bond and climb onto her back flying up into the sky. i stopped a few clicks away from my village, for if i was being followed there was no way they could follow me through the forest. i knew it to well, every tree, river and bush. i also know a lot of short cuts.

as im running back i notice how empty and quite home-base was, everyone must've gone to bed. was i really gone for that long? when i arrive to the entrance of my family tent i see two tall avatars standing there. thank eywa they were facing the other way or i would've been seen. i hide behind some bushes and look behind me and see the tent was empty, this was strange so i look around and see all the tents were empty. everyone had left.

i peeked back into my family tent to see something i didn't notice before. my parents were being pinned down onto the ground with guns to their heads, they couldn't see me but i was close enough to hear what they were saying.

"where is your daughter" one of the men barked

thats when i heard a very familiar voice, it was my mother.

"we dont know we havent seen or heard from her all day" she sobbed

"dont lie we know you know where she is, tell us now!" the man ordered

"as my mate just told you, we haven't seen her all day! what business do you have with my daughter anyway" my father said firmly

"she was just with jake sully's kids just moments ago till she escaped, one of our guys followed her back her till she disappeared into the forest, we flew around for a bit till we found you, you have the markings as her, that's how we know you are her children" the man explained

"who are is jake sully! and why do you want our daughter!" my mother cried

"you may know jake sully as toruk makto, and we just want to talk to your daughter to see if she has information on jake sully's whereabouts" the man spat

"no no that has to be a mistake my-" before my mother could finish her sentence there was a bang, i heard ringing in my ears, as my father let out a blood curdling scream, and i knew what had happened. i couldn't feel anything i just froze.

"we wanted answers and she wouldn't give them to us" the man said

i saw my mothers lifeless body on the floor blood spilling from her stomach, then i saw my dad attack the man that shot her, not long after that there was another loud bang. my mother and fathers lifeless bodies lying down of the floor of our home, my happy place for the last few years, the place that will now haunt me for the rest of my life. my parents were dead.

and it was all my fault.

end of chapter 2