out of time

chapter 19

na'teya pov

"you skxawng, im shot."

i felt a sharp pain pierce through my chest. all i could feel was the excruciating agony of the bullet tearing through my flesh and muscle. my head kept falling under the water while lo'ak, tsireya and neteyam were trying to hold me up. my vision blurred and my mind raced, trying to process what was happening to me. i felt so scared and helpless. my thoughts were jumbled, interrupted by the searing pain spreading throughout my body. tears of pain and fear welled up in my eyes as i struggled for breath, realizing that my life could end at any moment.

i was pulled up onto a rock everyone surrounding me, my breathing started to speed up as i felt my lung tightening. jake turns me to my side to see if the bullet went all the way through. it did.

"oh no" jakes voice was shaking, like he knew something we didn't, like he knew i was going to die. "pressure, pressure" jake grabbed lo'aks arms pushing them down onto my chest, i grabbed lo'aks arm squeezing it for comfort.

"i don't want to die" i cried looking around "please don't let me die" i choked, my face saturated from my tears.

i looked over at lo'ak grabbing his arm tighter.

neytiri flew over "no, no! my child!"

i was surrounded by the whole sully family except kiri and tuk.

as i lay there on the rock, surrounded by everyone i held dear to me, my eyes locked with lo'ak's. i could see the love and fear reflected in his gaze, and i knew he was hurting as much as i was. my chest felt heavy as i struggled to breathe, my body wracked with pain from the bullet wound. i knew i wasn't going to make it, that this was my last moment with the people and the boy i loved.

i tried to say "i love you," but the words got stuck in my throat, making me cough violently. with a last burst of strength, i whispered "lo'ak i-" before everything went dark.

i hoped he would understand what i wanted to say, that my love for him would carry on even after i was gone.

lo'ak pov

the scene before me was heart wrenching. na'teya lying on the rocks, her life ebbing away, surrounded by all those who loved her most. as our eyes met, i could see her pain and fear, and i knew there was nothing i could do to save her. she was my everything, my soulmate, and now she was slipping away from me. i reached out to touch her hand, but it was too late. she took a shallow breath, and then her hold on life vanished. all she could manage to say was a muffled "lo'ak i-" before her eyes closed and her face went limp. my heart shattered into tiny pieces. i couldn't believe that the love of my life was gone.

tears streamed down my face as i thought of all the moments that we should have had together. na'teya was my reason to live, my sun and stars, and now she was gone and i couldn't see, my whole world just went dark. i felt anger and bitterness bubbling up inside me. it wasn't fair that someone so good, so pure, could be taken from this world. she deserved a life full of love, happiness, and joy, but instead, she had been dealt this cruel fate. i was lost and devastated, like a part of me had died with her. nothing would ever be the same again.

"who did this to her?" i seethed, my anger simmering beneath the surface.

"quaritch," tsireya mumbled, her voice barely audible.

"who? speak up!" i yelled at tsireya, demanding clarity.

"quaritch!" she yelled back, her response cutting through the air with a weight of accusation.