rock pools

chapter 6

present day (na'teya pov)

i woke up to the sun beaming into my eyes and ty'wren organizing his things since we were to tired to do it last night, i felt like i might go blind from the suns heat. i stretch and turn over facing away from the sun so i can go back to sleep. the bed was so comfortable.

"i dont think so, i saw your eyes open. come on its time to wake up you have training" he says shaking me trying to get me to wake up, why is he so annoying.

i roll over and push ty'wren away from me, "why would you wake me up" i groan

"because it's our first day here, we have to make a good impression" he responded

i roll my eyes while climbing out of bed, i walk over to my satchel and pick out my favourite training outfit. if i have to train with the olo'eyktan's sons i am going to dress to impress.

i walk behind the curtain and get dressed. i pull a green leaf top over my head with the leaves covering my chest, i then grab the other two strings and tie them behind me securing my top into place.

i then put on a green fabric loincloth, it doesn't need to be tied and sits perfectly on my hips. i then walk back from behind the curtain and reach for my armband my mum made me when i got my first kill a few years ago. it was made from the same string of my top, it had one yellow feather and one orange feather attached to it going down my biceps.

"what do you think" i say getting ty'wrens attention

"just like mum" ty'wren rejoiced

i was speechless at the response, so all i could muster was a meek "thank you". with that, i stepped out of the hut and onto the soft mossy ground of the forest. before i left ty'wren called after me, "make sure you stay out of trouble."

i look back at him and stick my tongue out earning a cheeky grin from ty'wren.

as i'm walking through the village i see a beautiful river leading all the way to the main area of the village, i watch as the payoang (fish) struggle swimming forward as the water current is pushing them back. i arrive in the main area and walk over to jake sully's family hut. him and his two sons standing outside their family hut, i take a deep breathe and walk over.

jake turned to look at me and said, "ah na'teya, i'm glad you decided to join us," in a sarcastic tone.

"you never told me what time i was supposed to meet you," i replied.

"i assumed that as a warrior, you would know to wake up with the sun to begin training," he responded.

"my clan does things differently," i answered.

"how does your clan do it then?" he challenged.

"we start training just before eclipse and we would train all night to build up our senses, like our sight, vision, smell cause training in the day is to easy" i say with a cocky grin.

"right well if its so easy for you today will be simple" he says "i've got my own duties to attend to, neteyam and lo'ak will teach you the basics for today day and tomorrow you can pick up where you left off in the kekeunan clan"

i nod and watch as jake walks away. my eywa if i was a few years old neytiri would have some competition.

"kxì oe lu neteyam, fì'u lu lo'ak (hi im neteyam, this is lo'ak)" he said with a smile pointing to his brother next to him

"im na'teya" i say returning the smile, "so neteyam, where are we going today for training"

neteyam just shrugged "um just follow me, okay?"