014; 𝙨𝙩𝙖𝙮

"Stay.
one more night.
Oh, my dear,
why do all the seasons change?
Over time,
now we're here
thinkin' 'bout those days"
• • •

previously...

As we enter the room, I can see the devastation etched on Chris's face. I reach for his hand, interlocking our fingers, and bringing our hands up to my lips, kissing the top of his hand softly. I can see the tears in his eyes, and it breaks my heart to see him this way.
I squeeze Chris's hand tightly, trying to convey a sense of comfort and strength. As we walk towards Kelsey and Matt, I pray that Matt will pull through, that he will be okay. I know that we all need each other more than ever in the days and weeks to come..
• • •

CHRISTOPHER'S POV

Stella and Kelsey left the room for "snacks" around a half hour ago to give Matt & I some alone time.

When we first arrived he was sound asleep, hooked up to a bunch of machines, bandages covering his arms and legs.. it's so scary seeing him in this state. All I can think about is Nick, and how I don't know what i'd do if Matt wouldn't have made it.

he's conscious  now, and has been for around ten minutes. We've just been sitting in uncomfortable silence. Which, I don't mind.
I wish I knew what he was thinking right now.

"i'm sorry."
Matt whispers in a broken tone.

My eyes immediately dart over to him, and a sadness washes over me.

"Matt.." I sigh. "please don't apologize" I add, scooting my plastic infirmary chair closer to him.

"i just... I couldn't do it anymore Chris. I hate myself, I hate having to be associated with the gang, I hate constantly having us be in danger. I hate the pain I feel every day of my life.. I just wanted it to be over. I wanted the pain to go away." he says, his lip quivering as he speaks.

I lean forward and grab onto his hand gently, quickly scanning over the bandages and IV sticking out of him.

"i'm sorry I didn't see how much you were hurting. I'm sorry I didn't realize it got bad again. I'm"-

"it's not your fault Chris. I promise" Matt cuts me off quickly. "If anything, you've been the main reason i've held on for so long." he chuckles lightly through the tears that had begun to form.

"I just can't lose you bro." I say honestly.
I truly don't think I could handle losing Matt. He's my best friend.

"I know. I'm going to try to get better. I'm going to be better. for you, for kels, for nick.."
he chokes back a sob before continuing
"and most importantly, for me."

I can't help but smile through the few tears that had seemed to escape.
"that's all I ever want for you Matty.
to heal, to be happy."

"knock, knock"

Both Matt & I avert our attention to the door where Kelsey & Stella now stand, with arms full of snacks.

"you're awake!" Kelsey exclaims, dropping her snacks and rushing over to the bed.

"i'll just.." Stella says quietly before picking up the snacks off the floor, placing them on the table in the middle of the room and walks over to me.