Chapter 9 "𝐹𝑖𝑟𝑠𝑡 𝑀𝑖𝑠𝑠𝑖𝑜𝑛"

A few days had gone by, Dazai would pick me up around noon, train me for survival, teach a few things about how the underworld worked and then would walk me home in the evening.

Considering his interest in my ability, I was able to justify my suspicions of him.

I had improved my ability during these days and finally I was given a mission by Mori.
It was just a simple mission to explore an old factory, Mori said an organisation was interfering with the import of weapons to Port Mafia and a member of that organisation was spotted hiding there a few weeks ago, so I am supposed to investigate the clues about him escaping.

Dazai had insisted on accompanying me there. So I just agreed. We were in a cab waiting to reach the destination.

"You look nervous"

I heard while escaping my train of thoughts.

"Do I..?"
I said nervously.

"Yes you do"
Dazai said looking me in the eyes.

"Well It's my first mission after all.. Dazai-san... Do you perhaps have any advice considering it my first mission...?"

"Advice? Hmm Let me see.. not really but don't worry because if anything happens... I'm right here with you "

"Are you telling me to rely on you?"

"Yep"

"Okay I guess I'll rely on you this time then"

"We're here"
Said the driver.

...

We entered through the main gate. It was just an old abandoned factory which seemed to have a few rusty machines here and there.

"It's really dusty here, I doubt we'll be able to find anything in here."
I said while exploring it's interior

"Hmm you're right"

Just as we were about to leave, it started raining, we heard footsteps and a lot at that. And suddenly in the blink of an eyes we were surrounded by dozens of men with guns.

"Keiko-chan, Come here"
Dazai said while extending out his hand to me.

"O-okay"
I said stepping close to him and taking his hand.

"I'm guessing this is the organisation we were told about, they seem to have tricked us"
Dazai said whispering to me.

"W-what?!"
I also said whispering to him.

I was anxious because even my ability was useless as it was raining and my imagination objects and people would disappear at the mere touch of rain.

"Don't worry Keiko-chan chan, I called for the emergency back-up. They'll be here in about 5 minutes, we just have to hold them off till then"

"Quit whispering to each other you two, Port Mafia members."
Said the guy who seemed to be their head.

"You. You guys are from the organisation, aren't you?" Dazai said looking straight to his eyes.

"Not a fool, huh"

Dazai was distracting them while talking to him to buy some time for the back-up to arrive.

Just as I looked back I saw a guy who aimed at Dazai's back and fired towards him.

I moved before I could think and covered his back when the bullet hit me in my right shoulder.

Dazai looked back.

And I fell just when Dazai caught me.

"KEIKO!"

My Vision was getting blurry and it was all dark.

"Keiko!!! Do you hear me!!!"

"KEI-!"

was the last thing I heard before I closed my eyes.