Chapter 15

I walked into school, and I couldn't focus for the rest of the day, I only focused in band when I got to do a solo on my Saxophone, I felt so alive when I played, just like the first time I ever played. It felt so right, like I could stay there forever. My time was up once the bell rudely interrupted me by ringing.

I went off to the rest of the periods, worrying a bit about lunch. I guaranteed once I did the homework for those classes (except for language arts, I'm really good at that), I would not get it one bit, so obviously, Gabe will HAVE to help me. And as for math, HA! No matter how much attention I pay to the lesson, I will never get it until Gabe teaches me. But then again, all my classes, except for french, are A.P. So cut me some slack. And yes, band is A.P for me. I'm in Jazz Band.

It's math class, prepare for doom. I payed really close attention to the lesson, except for the fact that I kept looking at the clock so often (though sometimes, I looked at Jason, teehee). Everytime I looked at the clock, 15 minutes went by, faster and faster. And then...

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!!!!!!

That's my cue. Death, here I come.

I walked to lunch with Gabe and went through the two big lunch doors. We headed over to the lunch line and got our grub. Gabe got some juice and a burrito (gross, I hate mexican food) and I got some really cheesy pizza with grapes on the side and a bottle of water (An Italiano a-feast-o!!! Mamma mia! No? Oh well, I gave it a shot. Not exactly a feast, but I really like Italian, even though its not REALLY Italian).

We got our lunch and Gabe stood by my side. We looked at eachother with serious looks and nodded. We then separated, Gabe to our friends and me to the Plastics. I honestly don't like saying that. I don't want hang with them!

I got to the table and sat.

"Hey guys!" I said, with more or less false happiness.

"Welcome, Nicki. We have been expecting you," said Taylor.

"Um... okay?"

"So you know, you're not completely part if the group yet," said Taylor.

"I see, okay, it's cause I have to get to know you guys better."

"Sort of... that too, but we mean something else," Stefon smirked.

"We are your mentors, we will teach you the ways of being one of us," said Taylor, gesturing towards them three.

"And by that you mean...?" I asked confused.

"By that, we mean we will teach you how to act and be like us in the course of one week, you will then be tested, and we decide whether or not you'll be one of us," said Carol.

"Today, you will be with us, and we will teach you the proper etiquette of a..." Taylor trailed off. I guess they didn't call themselves anything.

"The Populars!" said Carol.

"Yeah, I guess that will suit... Anyway, lets start off with lunch basics since we're already here."

The Plastics looked at my tray in utter disgust and dissappointment.

"What?"

Taylor looked at me as though I was really stupid, like the answer was so obvious. "Carbs, darling, CARBS! This has major fat! And Ca-lo-ries!" She clapped every syllable with the back of her hand against the palm of the other.

I felt stupid, then again, I felt that what she said was stupid too. I was about to say something, but bit my tongue.

"Know what? Since I am so incredibly nice, I'll let you eat it...today. and ONLY, TODAY." She looked at me with harsh eyes.

I ate my food in silence, enjoying every bite of it and listening to everything they were saying. It was all just gab and gossip. It was fun listening in, really entertaining actually. It all stopped when the bell rang, and Taylor and Carol grabbed me, arm in arm. Carol on my left and Taylor on my right.

We walked to class, and I looked really stupid. They were walking so differenrly than I was. It was so... abnormal.

Taylor stopped in the middle of the hallway to drink water from the fountain. She turned to me abruptly, and asked,

"What in god's creation, possessed you to do that?!"

"What?"

"What you just did!"

"...walking?"

Her eyes widened and said "Yes!" in an annoyed duh tone.

"Well sorry, but, I think...And I'm just putting it out there...That walking... is how I get to class," I said sarcastically.

Carol giggled and Taylor shot her a death glare "SHUT IT, CAROL!!!" Carol turned silent and weakly smiled at me.

"And as for you," She turned towards me, "Don't you sass me! We don't walk, we STRUT."

I raised in eyebrow in pure confusion.

"You OBVIOUSLY don't get it. Know what? Come over my house today and I'll teach you, there's simply no time to teach you in school, you are just too much work. You can't walk with us today."

"But why?" I said, even though I was kind of glad to not be with them. Yet, a bit offeneded.

Taylor closed her eyes, took in a deep breath and sighed. "Did I not just tell you?! For god's sake, you can't strut!"

"And that's reason for me to not walk with you?"

She got closer to my face and narrowed her eyes. "Thats PLENTY reason."

I narrowed my eyes too as she backed away.

"Just watch us and try to copy us, try not to make a fool out of yourself."

I rolled my eyes as they got to the other side of the hallway as they started strutting. I mimicked them and went along.

"Yo, you're Nicki right? You single?" Said a random guy walking down the opposite way. I just smiled and blushed. I've never gotten complements like this before!

Before long, that little complinent turned into a disease and started spreading down the hallway as I strutted.

"Aye, Nicki, you are fiiiiiiiiine!" Said a guy.

Some guys looked me up and down and nodded with a satisfied kind of look.

There were a few cliché types of whistles here and there like you see in movies and stuff signifying my attractivness. But I couldn't help but notice, as guys whistled and such, Taylor tried making her strut more and more obvious as she went, and she gave me death glares that I saw in my peripheral vision. Was she jealous? No! She can't! She's at the top of the school!.

We got to class and Taylor entered without a word to me. Carol looked at me with a thumbs up and smiled. I felt a bit better knowing Carol approved.

***

The final bell of the day finally rang and I walked outside.

"Nicki!"

I looked behind to see Gabe.

"Hey"

"Where are you going? Aren't you coming over today?"

"I can't, Plastic business. I'm a spy, remember?"

"Oh yeah".

"Bye, Gabe, love you, man." I hugged him goodbye. It felt so weird not going home with him.

"Same. Bye." He hugged me tight. Man, his hugs were the best. He released with a weak reassuring smile and I saw the depression in his eyes. I couldn't stand leaving him. But I was doing business.

Suddenly, as if on cue, her car pulled up.

"Get in, loser, we're going to the mall" (see what I did there?!)

She had a beautiful red, convertable, without the top. The seats were leather and beige. She wore her Gucci sunglasses while chewing gum. Steplfon and Carol were there too. Stefon wore his aviators and Carol had raybans.

Won't today be a fun day? *note the sarcasm*