03 | Babysitter

"OH FLIPPING PANCAKES." I exclaimed dramatically. Speaking of pancakes, I haven't eaten anything asides from the tub of ice cream.

"And this is why we need to babysit you." Xavier let out a frustrated sigh and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Excuse me? You babysit me?!" I throw my hands up in frustration. "I don't need you to babysit me. I'm old enough to take care of myself!"

"You're excused," he stopped the car. "Go out and see for yourself."

"Xav-" Dante interjected but Xavier shut him up with a glare.

Was he going to let me go this easily? I took my chance anyway and cautiously stepped out. I scanned the area, anticipating that I could make a run for it. Then again, Opossum guy, Xavier, was a smart bastard.

We were in the middle of nowhere. There was no use.

My eyes soon adjusted to the darkness just as a shadow swooshed by me. Many more came out of nowhere and flew in different directions.

My eyes widened and I ducked down, laying flat on my stomach. "Oh my gosh."

Bullets. Gunfire decided to play as horrifying music to the chilly night air. Bang, bang, bang, it went, and that was the only sound heard.

I groaned for the millionth time and buried my face to the ground.

Feeling someone's presence beside me, I knew it was going to be the end. I sucked it up and turned to face whoever it was.

"Xavier?"

"Maddie?" He mocked me.

"Why are you here?"

"If you remain like this, you'll end up like burnt crispy."

"What? This is no joking matter, Xavier."

"No time for any chit chat, let's get going." He said as he swung me over his shoulder with ease.

"I have legs to walk on you know." I reasoned. Xavier was silent and picked up his pace.

Once I was safely inside his car, the ground I was resting on a few minutes ago started to catch on fire.

He immediately stepped on the gas and we were off.

"Oh." Was all I could say while Dante complained on how he could've fried his eggs to make an omelet.

Several moments later, we were still being chased by what I assume, are our enemies; the Mercury's Shadow.

When did I even have enemies?

Xavier tossed objects to the back seat, the items shimmering under the moonlight.

Catching it, I swallowed hard and traced my fingers on its cold surface.

"You do know how to use one, correct? I wouldn't like your brains to splatter over my car seats." Xavier asked briefly.

"Yeah, I know how to use one." The Glock was the same thing he used to kill my mother.

"Give it your best shot and aim at the tires." Xavier and Dante rolled down the windows and began firing.

I took a deep breath and slid my way over to the broken window. My left hand held the handle inside of the car for balance as my right hand clicked off the safety of the weapon.