Chapter 5 - The Zanchif Gazette

Jamie looked around the classroom and quickly spotted his cousin Daniel. He walked over to him.

"So, what's up?" He said to the guy, leaning on the wall and facing his cousin who was sitting on one of the five chairs in the classroom.

The classrooms in Zanchif only had six chairs and tables. One for the professors, five for the students. Yes, there were only five students per room. Mrs. Barrington, the head of the academy, thought that it would help the students learn and focus more in class rather than spend their time chatting and causing riot among their other classmates.

"Hey, I just wanted to introduce you to some people." Daniel said to him.

Daniel stood up and waved over to Jamie to follow him. His cousin walked out of the classroom and into another one which in this case was perfectly fine since classes haven't really started yet. In the new room, there were three students huddled together. The two were talking in whispers while the other one seemed to just listen in and when Jamie and Daniel entered, they all stopped and raised their heads to the two. To Jamie's surprise, Daniel started walking towards them. He followed nonetheless.

"Guys, this is Jamie, my cousin who I was talking about," This made Jamie raise an eyebrow at the lad. "And Jamie, this is Finnegan, Ashley and Keith."

After the introduction, the three, namely Jamie, Finnegan and Ashley, started saying their "hi's" and "hey's" to one another with Keith only offering him a short nod and Finnegan telling Jamie to just simply call him "Finn.". Jamie already knew the other two people though. Finnegan "Finn" Pine was the student council president at Zanchif while Ashley Greene was the vice president. He didn't know who Keith was and he was a hundred percent sure that the three students didn't even know about his existence until Daniel told them about him. No hard feelings though.

"Uh, can I go now?" Jamie suddenly asked Daniel. He wanted to go early to his classroom today because he wanted to read his notes again for the history quiz that they were going to have.

"Hold on a sec. These guys need to ask you something."

"Yeah? What is it?" Jamie questioned, turning to the three. He must have had a confused expression on his face because Finn immediately made eye contact with him and started speaking.

"We want you to be a writer for The Zanchif Gazette."

"Huh? Why me?"

"Well," This time Ashley was the one who spoke. "One of the writers of The Zanchif Gazette, Tomohara Ueda, recently went back to Japan to talk about the Ueda family business which he will now be managing after the death of his father. This left the The Zanchif Gazette with one less writer which is really awful since Tomohara was assigned to write one of the most important articles that will be released on the school paper next month."

Ashley then turned to Finn as if to tell him to continue for her.

"And since the other staff of the school paper are already working on their assigned articles and couldn't fill up for Tomohara, Ashley and I decided to help them find a temporary writer. That was when we heard from Daniel how talented you are at writing and that you've published some of your creations before, we decided to give it a shot and try asking you to fill up for Tomohara. It will only be temporary until we find someone here in Zanchif that'll actually have the skills and devotion for the job or if you find being a writer for The Zanchif Gazette fun then you can even be one of the official writers."

This time all eyes were on Jamie. They were all anxious to know whether or not he'll take the offer. Then suddenly amidst all the silence, Jamie raised a hand and pointed a finger at Keith.

"Can I ask what is his part in all this?"

"Keith Olsen is actually the editor-in-chief of The Zanchif Gazette." Daniel told his cousin, who immediately looked puzzled.

"If he's the editor-in-chief then why isn't he the one talking to me all about this instead of you two?" Jamie exclaimed turning to Finn and Ashley.

"Keith's a shy guy." Finn shrugged.

"He's not into socializing." Ashley said calmly.

"Hmm....." This time Jamie spent a few moments to whether or not take part in being a writer for The Zanchif Gazette but then he made up his mind to just take the offer. It will help him improve his writing more and it will surely feel good to see your name as one of the writers in one of the most prestigious schools' newspaper. Jamie nodded at the three.

"Sure. I'll do it."