5

260. Daunt: To intimidate or discourage someone, often causing them to lose courage or confidence.
For example, soldiers may face daunting challenges on the battlefield that test their resolve.

Dearth: Scarcity or lack of something. During times of drought, there may be a dearth of water, leading to shortages and difficulties for agriculture and daily life.

Debacle: A sudden and disastrous failure or collapse of something. The stock market crash of 1929, known as the Great Depression, resulted in a financial debacle that had far-reaching effects on the global economy.

Deceit: The act of deceiving or misleading others through dishonesty or trickery.
In Shakespeare's play "Othello," the character Iago uses deceit to manipulate and destroy the relationships of those around him.

Decimate: Originally meaning to kill or destroy one in every ten people as a form of punishment, it is now commonly used to describe severe destruction or significant reduction in numbers or strength.
In ancient Rome, the practice of decimation was employed as a punishment for rebellious legions.

Decline: To refuse or reject an offer or invitation.
In historical and political contexts, countries may decline participation in certain agreements or treaties if they feel it goes against their interests.

Decorum: Appropriate behavior or conduct according to social conventions.
For example, in formal settings such as diplomatic meetings or ceremonies, decorum is expected to maintain respect and order.

Default: Failure to fulfill an obligation, especially a financial one.
When a borrower fails to make timely payments on a loan, they may go into default, leading to legal and financial consequences.

Defiant: Showing resistance or disobedience, often in the face of opposition or authority.
Civil rights activists who protested against racial segregation in the 1960s demonstrated a defiant spirit in their struggle for equality.

273. Deft: Skillful or nimble in one's movements or actions. A ballet dancer performing intricate leaps and spins with grace and precision can be described as deft.

274. Deign: To condescend or reluctantly agree to do something considered beneath one's dignity. Royalty or individuals in positions of power may deign to interact with commoners or undertake tasks usually seen as menial.

Deism: A philosophical belief that acknowledges the existence of a higher power or creator but does not ascribe to a specific religious doctrine or belief system. Deists often view the universe as ordered and believe that reason and observation can lead to an understanding of God's existence.